Connecting External Soundcard

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

fidox

Connecting External Soundcard

Post by fidox »

Hi there !

I'm more asking for my friend, but i would also like to know, if he can connect external soundcard, connected to his motherboard, which has
usb-c, sub-a, and s/pdif connections.
He would like something more audiophile soundcard connected to receiver amplifier for listening music.
I'm not sure how good are those chips from Realtek on-board 7.1 connected thru s/pdif output.
He said, that sound is not that smooth.
So , what are my options here ?
External soundblaster, will there will be any benefits ? Any other options ?
Any suggestions would be welcomed,
Matej
dante

Re: Connecting External Soundcard

Post by dante »

So his Receiver Amp has spdif ? What other inputs ? To listen to music sourced from my computer I have used https://au.creative.com/p/accessories/c ... ransceiver transmitting to my Sony Bluetooth Speakers.

Otherwise can get something like :

https://www.doukaudio.com/products/douk ... dsd-192khz

They have some neat bluetooth valve amps there as well
fidox

Post by fidox »

dante wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:19 pm So his Receiver Amp has spdif ? What other inputs ?

something like :

https://www.doukaudio.com/products/douk ... dsd-192khz
Thanks Dante.

Receiver has (Yamaha RX-V540RDS) :
-96 kHz/24-bit D/A converter
-optical and coaxial digital audio signal jacks

Sorry for my dumb question.
I'm only familiar with onboard audio and Creamware cards :D
If connecting computer to for example : Douk Audio U2 USB converter and then to Yamaha receiver, so, in Windows 10 you still need to leave onboard soundcard enable and just choose which output for audio signal you want to use ?
Thanks
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (101.79 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
dante

Post by dante »

fidox wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:24 am If connecting computer to for example : Douk Audio U2 USB converter and then to Yamaha receiver, so, in Windows 10 you still need to leave onboard soundcard enable and just choose which output for audio signal you want to use ?
I guess so. Cant see any reason you cant have both and then pick which one you want to use at any given time through control panel or the playback app itself. On my system I have Audio I/O through Scope, Zoom and Universal Audio all available.
valis

Post by valis »

Be aware that most home theatre systems have a certain amount of internal delay, both for faux surround and dolby processing (which incurs a large delay to decode into discrete channels) and to time-align to HDMI audio (which this doesn't support, so thankfully you will likely have less latency 'passing through' this setup). In some cases, such systems will have a 'pass-thru' or feature or a button to 'disable' all processing and simply pass stereo audio.
fidox

Post by fidox »

Thanks for all replies. You helped me a lot :)