Calling all Ableton Live Users

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Calling all Ableton Live Users

Post by dante »

Heres a new ScopeRise article made by Nebelfuerst and myself : Its a guide to using Scope with Abelton Live

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_29/ab_mast.htm

Any tips / suggestions on using Ableton with Scope welcome.
brookesy

Re: Calling all Ableton Live Users

Post by brookesy »

Thanks Dante, always enjoy seeing how other people work. I personally prefer to open a few more ASIO ins and outs into the scope mixer to avoid the feedback.
valis

Post by valis »

I think that demonstration project is what they're suggesting as a starting point. Starting with the minimal number of ASIO i/o in Live as the way to reduce CPU performance is a longstanding tip, for the buffers will be fed regardless of whether there's data or not. Unlike other DAWs that have a separate buffer for the recording channels (or live armed channels, call it ASIOguard or 'process buffer' or etc) and the 'mix' threads, Live keeps everything always at the buffer size ('mix' buffer doesn't exist). So core peaking is far more common in Live than some other DAWs..

I think that the midi discussion is a bit simplified, and will depend on chosen workflow. If recording midi to be time-aligned with all elements in the DAW, passing the midi THROUGH live and then into Scope while playing/recording makes more sense. Otherwise you'll have to adjust for the ASIO buffer latency and some additional overhead manually, or accept minor inconsistencies in timing from the live playing to the midi playback.

Most of us re-cable in Scope as we're working, and I personally don't use the larger mixers at all anymore because my workflow takes the re-cable idea to the extreme (meaning I will cascade micromixers to achieve bussing/auxes/monitor sends etc).
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Dante; I’ve just recently (April) transitioned from Reaper to Ableton.
I’m not an expert in either one of those DAWs but I can send you some notes if you can wait until the end of next week when I am at home.
I wasn’t unhappy with Reaper but there were some things that Ableton does a lot better (well easier to be honest) such as looping and ext clock sync with their Ableton Link
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

The project shown is not my daily work setup, just stripped down.
My real setup is a complicated mess of 3 PCs, with a self written sequencer.
The Xite Midi flow is shown in the attached picture.

For educational purposes the project should be a simple, clean starting point.

I could change things if I get low level instructions what to change.
The project is attached ( just rename the abletonbasic.txt to .pro). Feel free to improve. :)

I own Ableton, Bigwig, Samplitude and tested also reaper and many others like Cubase LE.
Only Ableton and Bitwig were able to exacly follow the midi clock input.
The workflow in ableton and bitwig is quite similar, but a different style compared to samplitude and cubase.
Attachments
abletonbasic.txt
(291.91 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (39.13 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
dante

Post by dante »

yayajohn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:36 am Dante; I’ve just recently (April) transitioned from Reaper to Ableton.
I’m not an expert in either one of those DAWs but I can send you some notes if you can wait until the end of next week when I am at home.
Sure any extra info welcome. Ill add Nebelfuerst advice about the clock as well