Always happy with PlanetZ forums - or I have been breaking my head and all info was here

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

snoopy4ever

Always happy with PlanetZ forums - or I have been breaking my head and all info was here

Post by snoopy4ever »

Long time no see dear scopers ..
but as you may know we can't stop loving SC's systems.
I had good luck with my 10 y/o system (X58 chipset ) on my 3 Scope cars ( 2 scope and 1 6 dsp )

but hey.. you guys know time is terrible and even that Xeon system started to show its age ( and I mean it ), however the DSP's cards still
keep as winners for me , So I had to decide to get a new mobo and new cpu and well 10 years deserved a good update for my audio
system. Yes yes.. I was lucky to use a pci to Pci-e bridge for one of my cards and it worked amazing.
SO I tried on my new system ( mind you asus Z490 mobo ) and yes.. well NO .. did not work at all ( GaryB should say told you so ! )

Any way ..after weeks and weeks I've decided to keep my old computer for ONLY the DSP cards.. and also spend other amount of time
thinking what should I do or how I should connect and started to think about the RAYDAT (RME) card .. and yes.. duh ! .. last friday
I checked on planetZ and yes you guys have YEARS enjoying that solution ..hahah ..

so Long Story Short !!! My RME card is on it's way.. and the fiber cables as well..
this is love !! beleive me.. I love my cards... that's the only reason I would keep an old pc .. get new cables and spend a lot more money
ona a new audio interface card .. but yes you guys summed it well, it will allow me to keep up with new software requirements , have more
performance and yes.. more stability and fun with my old SC cards.

here is the eternal house for my cards:
20210715_212909.jpg
20210715_212909.jpg (336.94 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
anyway.. as usual.. just wanted to share with you guys

Regards,

Snoop
valis

Re: Always happy with PlanetZ forums - or I have been breaking my head and all info was here

Post by valis »

Nice build! Computing is so much simpler than when this product initially came on the market, and the small homes we build for our card are so much more attractive even at affordable prices. My Scope cards are still in a Supermicro steel+aluminum case from 1999 that must weigh 130 lbs once it's full of SCSI drives, both cpu HSF's and so on (2001 era dual xeons, can you believe that?)
snoopy4ever

Re: Always happy with PlanetZ forums - or I have been breaking my head and all info was here

Post by snoopy4ever »

valis wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:44 pm Nice build! Computing is so much simpler than when this product initially came on the market, and the small homes we build for our card are so much more attractive even at affordable prices. My Scope cards are still in a Supermicro steel+aluminum case from 1999 that must weigh 130 lbs once it's full of SCSI drives, both cpu HSF's and so on (2001 era dual xeons, can you believe that?)
it is totaly incredible!!!! hello Valis!!

yes.. it is just .. you know .. a moment when I think both worlds , new native power , with old SC cards.. can "co-exists" on a much nicer way...
but yes..YOU SR !! Thanks a lot for your sharing , it led me to decide .. and I'm sure I won't regret !! :D
astroman

Post by astroman »

Congrats, wise solution... sending DSP jobs via Adat is fast and reliable, I‘m shure you‘ll enjoy your new old system 8)

As a side note: myself beeing even more stupid by NOT reading the Adat section of Scope‘s manual properly... or rather ignoring it for years. Everything was written in the original doc :oops:
So eventually my „VDAT controlled by Alesis BRC“ project succeeded with just a tiny inconveniences of checking connection by some stop-locate presses (initially and if tape gone napping).

The main reason I mention this is in praise of the engineers who designed and programmed VDAT.
Digidesign’s Adat Bridge and Alesis‘ very own HD24 (both claim to work with the BRC) are way more fiddly, incomplete or unreliable.
But I’m not ungrateful to Digidesign - at least they tried... and added a wordclock out to sync the BRC to their Adat Bridge.
(which saves me a sync device... atm) :D
snoopy4ever

Post by snoopy4ever »

astroman wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:03 pm Congrats, wise solution... sending DSP jobs via Adat is fast and reliable, I‘m shure you‘ll enjoy your new old system 8)

As a side note: myself beeing even more stupid by NOT reading the Adat section of Scope‘s manual properly... or rather ignoring it for years. Everything was written in the original doc :oops:
So eventually my „VDAT controlled by Alesis BRC“ project succeeded with just a tiny inconveniences of checking connection by some stop-locate presses (initially and if tape gone napping).

The main reason I mention this is in praise of the engineers who designed and programmed VDAT.
Digidesign’s Adat Bridge and Alesis‘ very own HD24 (both claim to work with the BRC) are way more fiddly, incomplete or unreliable.
But I’m not ungrateful to Digidesign - at least they tried... and added a wordclock out to sync the BRC to their Adat Bridge.
(which saves me a sync device... atm) :D
Hello Astroman !!!!
I've never had the chance to use VDAT .. was a bit late , BUT always heard amazing things bout that., only proof that the whole idea behind this system was a good one.

Like I said to valis..,. wish I could keep with SC for many many years .. hahaha !! I think I will !!!

Regards,

Snoopy