VST pops and clicks

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

Re: VST pops and clicks

Post by valis »

Nothing wrong with onboard graphics in the audio world imho. Intel is about to take a leap across the board in their graphics architecture, hopefully it doesn't negatively impact DPC latency for the on-die / iGP drivers. Their drivers aren't feature stable for some of my 3D workloads yet, but the appearance of the same architecture in both iGP & their dedicated GPU's can only improve things from that perspective. So perhaps good things ahead, and given that many software UI's are moving in a very interactive and visually rich direction this is likely only good for us too in the audio realm.

Even paired with a dedicated GPU, the onboard video support is useful for non-primary workflow applications. In my case, when running a graphics heavy GPU simulation on my Nvidia GPU, it makes little sense to try to use a web browser as well on that GPU as it only affects performance...often severely. Moving that and a chat application to a monitor connected to the iGP means that there's no impact on GPU related activities on the primary card, and as long as the OS impact otherwise is negligible.

In addition, Nvidia now has a second driver branch intended for validation against video editing & photo editing app suites (Adobe etc), called the 'studio' driver. It prioritizes accuracy and stability over framerates and works fine with the usual gpu related utilities otherwise. For a while it didn't come with Geforce Experience (which requires a login) but now it includes it as an optional install. Go to the 'Advanced driver search' page and under the Recommended/Beta dropdown choose Studio. Note under the OS selection menu, you will need Windows and likely Win10 64bit, but I haven't verified this.