Stereo Expander

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

Stereo Expander

Post by Music Manic »

Hi Guys

What does the Stereo Expander do exactly to a stereo signal? Does it mix some of the left signal to the right and does it split mono and stereo information?

Seems to be mono compatible but I would appreciate knowing what it does exactly.

Thanks
dante

Re: Stereo Expander

Post by dante »

At a guess I would think it does mid/side processing. Most stereo expanders use either that or HAAS (slight delay on one side) or a combination of both.
valis

Post by valis »

usually if it's mono compat then it's converted to m/s and any haas or other frequency based time-shifting is done only after decoding the 'side' back to L & R (M+S & M-S). Easy to tell the ones that are NOT mono compat... In the case of our Scope one I'm not sure but I'd be interested in an official answer as well. Might be worth testing with some sweeps & impulses to see if there's no answer forthcoming...
dawman

Post by dawman »

BX Digital has one that adds presence/brightness.
CWModular has one that goes further than Scope’s stock Stereo Expander.
Scopes stock Stereo Expander is the most basic.

Pretty having so many options.

I used BX Control Mono Maker on Main Outs and BX Stereo Expand on another pair of main outs.
SChained the mono maker pair over the stereo expander pair on the DAS Comp.

Tweaked the low end mono maker frequencies, adjusted cabinet volumes and really fixed my live sound to work better.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

valis wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:06 pm usually if it's mono compat then it's converted to m/s and any haas or other frequency based time-shifting is done only after decoding the 'side' back to L & R (M+S & M-S). Easy to tell the ones that are NOT mono compat... In the case of our Scope one I'm not sure but I'd be interested in an official answer as well. Might be worth testing with some sweeps & impulses to see if there's no answer forthcoming...
Just made some tests. It just raises the Side information volume over 0%