Thick Tape Flange

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Thick Tape Flange

Post by dawman »

dNa Pitch Shift on AUX 1.
Any Phaser on AUX 2.
Celmo’s Phaza has really insteresting resonance, but Stock Scope is what I prefer.

Just match Modulation rates on each Effect, crank up AUX 1 and AUX 2 on any String Pad, think of Styx ARP String Ensemble of the 80’s.

FD2BF130-4C12-4DCB-B1DE-F6EC4962BE97.png
FD2BF130-4C12-4DCB-B1DE-F6EC4962BE97.png (5.73 MiB) Viewed 5609 times
dante

Re: Thick Tape Flange

Post by dante »

Eva tried the A/DA Flanger? According to creator Dave Tarnowski - “When it sweeps up, it sounds like it sweeps to zero time delay. It actually goes to infinity, which is what true tape flanging sounds like.”
dawman

Post by dawman »

Nope.
I have u-He Satin bit it’s muffly.
Actually have the Strymon Deco for authentic.
The above gives you the same sound found on Eric Burton’s vocals in Sky Pilot, or Styx’s ARP String tricks.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

DNa devices are required items on Scope imho. High quality pro audio grade hardware equivalents.
There’S NO WAY the stock Scope effects could sound any good, the GUI’s aren’t flashy fancy emulations of real hardware.
:D

Jimmy I’m going to try your setup there and compare it to some of my own experiments.

@dante, about that A/DA, which one do y ou have? I’ve used the PA one and it’s not bad.
dante

Post by dante »

None but I got my eye on this brainworx version fairly cheap. You get the 1979 and the 2009 version switchable in one.

yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

UAD version is prob very similar to the VST being the same developer?
Pedal-wise I have the EHX flanger hoax, it can get into the crazy quickly so I take pictures when I land on a good one.
dante

Post by dante »

Probably. The only reason I haven’t jumped on it yet is I already have an MXR rack looking one. But I figure I can use the rack one as an master send/return one and the ADA pedal looking one on guitar track insert.

Pedal wise In the 80’s I had a BOSS Flanger and variable speed control on a Portastudio. 2 different FX sonically.

So interested to see if this ‘going to zero’ hype is really of any relevance or not. For me, if I want a tape effect flange it’s more about slowly turning/automating the speed control on a tape echo. Clockwise then anti-clockwise - which could be emulated by having an LFO control a tape echo speed knob I spose.

For simulating tape speed behaviour there's also dedicated plugs such as Kilohearts Tape Stop (MIDI triggered IIRC):
Kilohearts TapeStop
Kilohearts TapeStop
kilohearts tape stop.jpg (16.98 KiB) Viewed 5436 times
But likely I wouldn't be using that to thicken a rhythm guitar. :lol: :lol: :lol:
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

dawman wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:22 am dNa Pitch Shift on AUX 1.
Any Phaser on AUX 2.
Celmo’s Phaza has really insteresting resonance, but Stock Scope is what I prefer.

Just match Modulation rates on each Effect, crank up AUX 1 and AUX 2 on any String Pad, think of Styx ARP String Ensemble of the 80’s.
Just got around to trying this. Very nice classic jet sound! Another great preset for the dNA Effects Rack!

I used a triangle wave, flipped the invert on the Mod rack and it accented the whoosh.
I also added the pitch delay and an autopan.
Very nice sound
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yepp.
I tried combinations of Omnisphere, Kontakt, PTeq or Zebra with Scope but it’s just not doing it for me.
With 6 AUXs we can blend effects without adding to much gain due to the nature of AUXs.

I like my AUXs like this recently.

dNa PTCH
Scope Phaser
dNa Prime Time
Scope Master Verb
Strymon
SpaceF FAT-II

FAT-II using Algo 2 w/ 100% Valve.
Nice to add some low end or separation since it’s the last AUX.

In all honesty I don’t need the Strymon but it really does the trick for colors you can’t get by blending Prime with MasterVerb.
I like MasterVerb for decent room/stage Verb. Authentic creation of space where Strymon can be big everything.

Nice using a splash of dNa Prime Time pre MasterVerb, acts as the early reflection when set to 150-200 msec.

Ankyu
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

dawman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:06 pm

Nice using a splash of dNa Prime Time pre MasterVerb, acts as the early reflection when set to 150-200 msec.

Ankyu
Optimus Prime? Or is there an unknown weapon of Ray?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yes, Optimus. It reminds me of my ancient Lexicon Prime Time Model 93.
A Freudian slip.

I often do that.
I refer to cocktail waitresses as waittail cocktresses sometimes.
Tend to be ahead of myself.

The benefits of a classical education.