Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Re: BlackBox 3 by SpaceF

Post by yayajohn »

Nice. I’m in. :wink:
spacef

Post by spacef »

Here is a short video,a quick "attempt" to replicate the theme of Stranger Things, with Mini KrOn 3 controlling BB3 Osc 2 and FIltEq 1.

---> https://youtu.be/FSt1WVn7iyM

- The Pitch sequencer (Pitch 16A) is set to DSP and sent to BB3 Osc 2 CV 1. The edit mode is set to "Repeat 8" so I Just need to edit the first 8 steps to replicate them on the next 8 steps. See how it does not influence the V/Oct part, which is also set to repeat 8 but when the sequencers are set to "2 x 16 steps", then they are both isolated from the other and you can manipulate each of them without modifying the other. It is only in "32 steps" mode than the Edit modes would modify the whole 32 steps lane.
- The 2nd block of 16 (Pitch 16B) is set to V/Oct to double with CV synths/Eurorack but is not used in this short screen capture. That's what happens in the original theme where the same pattern is sent to various synths, and then you mix them together and give them slightly different modulation settings.
- The Val Sequencer controls the VCA modulation of the Oscillator. Here I use only the min/max positions, acting like a mute on/off, so I can mute the last step (or any other step).
- LFOs are sent to FilteQ1 to act as a "Gate by LowPass" feature. The gain of LFO is high so the notes are not "legato" at all. The amount of legato (LFO Gains) would be something to play live to change between more or less legato and bring life to the track.
- Listen to the edition of the BB3 oscillator and how the interaction of the tone controls manage to bring forward frequencies that give the impression of the 2 sounds with different rythmic controls. You should hear a new "bass pattern" that is created only through tone settings.
- At the end I should have also muted the first step but forgot.
- The slider is also active (slide amount follows Val Sequencer values - see how the Attack value changes from 0 to 16) and could be deactivated for a result closer to the original theme.
- Mini KrOn is triggered by the same E note every 8 measures (or so). When the note is pressed, it also controls the FiltEq1 EG. The notes can be released, to free hands for live manipulation of knobs. You can see that the midi track/triggers end quickly, but KrOn keep perfect sync with the track eventhough it did not receive a re-trigger signal. This is because it only needs to be triggered once to keep the sync for several hours.
- At the end, I Still got the melody wrong by 1 step but who cares :-) (the notes are right but mistake pictured below, explaining why the last step in on the kick... ;-)
Attachments
DoH !!! :-)
DoH !!! :-)
STRANGER-THINGS.png (13.13 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

Stranger Things Part 2/2 - Getting it right

---> https://youtu.be/JlV_1kolWf8

Corrected midi tracks + Improvisation with the elements explained above. Only BB3 + AMbient Delay (+ stranger things theme overdub)...
of course, in reallife you would assign a few CCs to the few controls that are used ( 8 / 16 should be enough).
Does it Blend ?
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website