AKA LPK25 as USB-input w. SCOPE 5.1 on Windows XP?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

st1

AKA LPK25 as USB-input w. SCOPE 5.1 on Windows XP?

Post by st1 »

Apologies if this is well known subject, but some searching didn't bring a specific answer up.

I'm having problems getting a USB class compliant MIDI keyboard (AKAI LPK25) to work with SCOPE v5.1 on Windows XP (yes, I know - but it's 32-bit, stable, works great on the older PC, etc).

My question is:
1) Can you use USB MIDI class compliant devices on Windows XP directly with SCOPE 5.1?

Or do I have to use a MIDI host application (eg. a sequencer or similar) as "bridge"?

In the routing window device list, I can only see the MIDI ports of my SCOPE boards, and the "sequencer" port.
If I attach any of my "real" MIDI keyboards to any of the MIDI ports, everything works.
But I cannot see the AKAI.
For a small HW footprint of the "daily synth setup", I would like to use the AKAI as the keyboard.
Just trying to figure out how-to.
garyb

Re: AKA LPK25 as USB-input w. SCOPE 5.1 on Windows XP?

Post by garyb »

no. you need to go through software to do so. both Scope and the usb device use a driver to communicate. drivers can only talk to software, a driver cannot speak to a driver.
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

I use this to get USB midi to talk to Scope:
http://www.midiox.com/
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Faxinadu released a little tool to do this within Scope without requiring a DAW.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=35754
st1

Post by st1 »

garyb wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:24 am no. you need to go through software to do so. both Scope and the usb device use a driver to communicate. drivers can only talk to software, a driver cannot speak to a driver.
Ok, understand. Thanks.
st1

Post by st1 »

t_tangent wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:52 am Faxinadu released a little tool to do this within Scope without requiring a DAW.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=35754
Ah! Sounds very much like "just what I need".
(I could also dig out my old Steinberg disks from somewhere, but it's not quite up-to-date anymore...)
Will try this out over the weekend.
Thanks for posting!
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Hope it works for you. Yes, all credit to Faxi, I'm just the messenger :)
st1

Post by st1 »

Well - I gave it a spin on the Scope host machine, but failed to make it work...

Unfortunately, XP claims that "Ocean Swift MIDI Router.exe" is not a valid windows executable.
And quite expectedly, the "Ocean Swift MIDI Router (64).exe" won't run - i presume is 64-bit exe (my XP is 32-bit).

Just as a sanity check, the file downloaded on two separate machines, but same result on target machine.
Running the exe on Windows 10 64-bit does actually run the "non-(64)" exe, but gives a "missig VC run-time DLL" for the 64-bit version.

Does anyone use this on 32-bit XP?
(And yes, the CPU 32-bit pentium 4 :) )