The Life Of The Sun

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

The Life Of The Sun

Post by dante »

Mid teens I lived in Tasmania and was visiting a friend in Canberra. We knew each other from birth as my father was in a recorder / guitar duo with his mother. Anyway my friend told me off for not bringing enough cash with me - I had only $6 and had spent it on Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon'. Regretting that I had spent my cash all on the first day, he suggested I only listen to Side 1 today and Side 2 tomorrow - that way it would be like only spending half my cash on the day and the other half the next day.

Reflecting on this I realise there was a touch of irony in this conceptual trickery of 'Time' and 'Money', since both were tracks on the album. The rest as they say is history - since we both loved the album and would do so for the rest of our lives like millions of others. In parallel with that history was of course the Floyd's own history of a power struggle in the making. According to 'Prog' magazine, Wright, Gilmour and Mason would have been content to continue lulling their audiences into some sort of hypnotic trance - but Roger Waters wanted to wake them up.

Accordingly, I was at first little bit disappointed with 'Wish You Were Here' because I suppose I was expecting some sort of conceptual follow up to 'Dark Side'. So recently I embarked on a project to 'roll my own' Dark Side follow up album. Here's the title track 'The Life Of The Sun'.

Interested to know if anyone else embarks on 'what if' projects - eg using well known artists/albums as 'genre' style inspiration.