Phasefix & Phasefix X

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

fra77x2

Re: Phasefix & Phasefix X

Post by fra77x2 »

@atom
In Xite you can't imagine how powerful is each dsp. Each one allows ~6500 cycles. In the Scope PCI not so much but enough to be able to design audio consistencly without surprises. I'm not sure where such a shell is. I have one in my library. Perhaps I'll upload it someday unless some other sdk user is kind enough.

It really breaks my heart people to use this awful tool to fix phase issues and everytime they close their project to know that things may sound different the next time. Pathetic marketing choices, yes-men and pure idiocy.
at0m

Post by at0m »

mere mortals like me do not have Xites. i'm most happy that my 20yo hardware still works.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

Yes it's pretty expensive but for me it is worth it's money. It gives plenty of dsp juice. With the sdk it is an engineer's heaven. My i-5 laptop rarely reaches above 10%, this keeps it quite and responsive. I load anything I may need in scope.

My PCI cards still work. I use them for my electronics lab and arduino stuff. I bought the first Pulsar 2 in ~2001 and the 15dsp's scope around 2005. The computer is a p4 and it is almost dead, sometimes it does not see the disk, sometimes when I plug the usb it hiccups but the scope cards still work without complain. The sound is the same with the Xite and I could work in the PCI system if I had to. But the Xite is enormous.
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Atom and Fra77x2, very useful information. I think this also may explain why I have fewer phase troubles by using inserts, but only on certain devices, sigh... I too, would like to know which modular shell will solve all of my problems (/sarcasm, but not really...)
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

@Eliam.
Could these devices be used as stereo imager? That would be awesome...
These are simple dsp delay lines. So yes you can delay one channel of a mono source to create a pseudo stereo sound what is known as Haas effect or precedence effect. The problem with this method when the source is a mono wave is that it does not pass the mono compatibility test well. Because summing a wave with a delayed copy of itself ( < 40ms ) creates comb filtering.

The best way to get a stereo image for monophonic sounds is to equalize them differently for the left and the right channel and then add inverted (feed the left to the right and vice versa) and with inverted phase some more signal, with a filter or else.
valis

Post by valis »

at0m (et al), in addition to the 1dsp locked modular shell there's also the BC Modular Circuit Level Modules (CLMs) which includes several that can help account for the potential for phase issues within modular.