Old freebie reverb

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

Peter Drake

Old freebie reverb

Post by Peter Drake »

Here's an old reverb I've never seen on this forum before. I think it was mid-2000, and it might have been made by Paul Tanti who I think was someone in the Canadian office of Creamware way back when.
!VERB2.ZIP
(978.26 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
If anyone remembers this as a paid device that shouldn't be freely distributed I will delete it.
Bud Weiser

Re: Old freebie reverb

Post by Bud Weiser »

What kind of file is that ?

Unzipped it says "0 24taps Grey L".

device, module ?

What´s it´s right location inside SCOPE system folders ?

:)

Bud
at0m

Post by at0m »

Peter, yea got lots of PT Verbs from back in the day :)

Bud, .mdl was the extension for devices, too, back in the early days. Those devices would have preset list and midi CC# assignments saved by the user with the device, too. We'd save different devices with different preset lists and such MIDI assignments along with projects in their folders :)
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

at0m wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:43 am ...

Bud, .mdl was the extension for devices, too, back in the early days. Those devices would have preset list and midi CC# assignments saved by the user with the device, too. We'd save different devices with different preset lists and such MIDI assignments along with projects in their folders :)
Well,- I better rephrase my question:

I don´t see a suffix like .mdl or .dev for that file,- instead I recognized .0 24taps Grey L (what I typed in bold letters above) as the suffix.
I´ve never seen such suffix for a SCOPE device before,- so I wondered to which SCOPE-folder it has to go to work as a reverb device.

Bud
at0m

Post by at0m »

Bud Weiser wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:20 pm I don´t see a suffix like .mdl or .dev for that file,- instead I recognized .0 24taps Grey L (what I typed in bold letters above) as the suffix.
I´ve never seen such suffix for a SCOPE device before,- so I wondered to which SCOPE-folder it has to go to work as a reverb device.
As to your first issue, of the extension, devices from those days would typically be .mdl. So I would just append that to the file name. But Scope doesn't care much for file names or extensions. It's content that matters :)

For your second question, of location: Scope doesn't care where you load the files from. You can drag devices and modules in your Routing Window, Insert Rack, Patch from anywhere you like. Unzip, load in the project then see if it's stereo or mono, if any of those.
To load from right-click menu into insert space for example: my guess -without having loaded the actual file- would be $SCOPE/devices/Effects/Stereo/Reverb/
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

at0m wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:45 am
As to your first issue, of the extension, devices from those days would typically be .mdl. So I would just append that to the file name. But Scope doesn't care much for file names or extensions. It's content that matters :)

For your second question, of location: Scope doesn't care where you load the files from. You can drag devices and modules in your Routing Window, Insert Rack, Patch from anywhere you like. Unzip, load in the project then see if it's stereo or mono, if any of those.
To load from right-click menu into insert space for example: my guess -without having loaded the actual file- would be $SCOPE/devices/Effects/Stereo/Reverb/
Thx for reply !
Didn´t know ...
I started w/ SCOPE 4 (4.5).

Since I´m busy moving from 32Bit system to 64Bit, more and more questions come up and it seems you´re a SCOPE expert ...
So, I´ll give it a try and please notify when it requires a new thread:

I´m now on a Z97 machine, Win7 Pro x64.
Meanwhile I recognized lots of disadvantages w/ native 64Bit plugins vs x86 32Bit plugins, recognizing only Reason 10/11 w/ it´s Refill based devices and NI Kontakt (and such) benefit from large RAM and NVMe SSDs.

Now I wonder, if it makes sense installing 32Bit SCOPE 7 into Win7 Pro´s x86 program folder, consequently using it as a 32Bit application running inside a 64Bit OS.
That should be possible and for the time being avoid running into 64Bit issues,- but,- and that´s the question ...

In that case, would I be able using p.ex. NI Kontakt x64 and Reason 10/11 (which is x64 only) w/ SCOPE ASIO and S|C hardware, XITE-1 and/or PCI card,- even I installed SCOPE 7 32Bit ?

Or,- has the (SCOPE) ASIO driver to be 64Bit always when running a 64Bit OS and using native 64Bit software in addition to SCOPE 7 ???

Bud
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Yeesh, that is an old file, I gave it a .dev on my setup and keep it in Devices\Effects\Stereo\Reverb

Your plan on 64 and 32 bit won't work. The respective versions of Scope need to be operating under the OS of the same size. One can get around this by having different boot partitions on the same drive or separate drives. I tried the second option for a while and found it just wasn't worth it for me, YMMV. I still miss a few devices that used .wav files and the simplicity of recording to VDAT, but the wealth of things available in native 64 bit land makes up for the loss.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

also if you attach ".dev" to the file you can use it as an insert effect.

OT: Bud just thought I'd pipe in here to share something about my setup which I'm happy as a clam with.
I have my Xite on my main DAW running 64bit (with the various known Scope limitations associated)
I also have a 2nd computer right next to it running a 26DSP PCI Scope (3 cards)
That computer is running Scope 7 Win 10 32bit. It uses one of the ADAT ports into the Xite-1 on the other computer. (MIDI I/O to hub)
This computer also is my internet computer.
So anyway, with this setup whatever I can't do on my Xite-1 64bit, I can do on the PCI computer so I don't find myself obsessing over things that I should be able to do on my Xite but can't yet or never will.
TBH I really don't find myself using the PCI computer very much except for STS or Zarg synths or something old like that.
For whatever it's worth, I hope you get it sorted.

Dan
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Peter Drake wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:05 pm Yeesh, that is an old file, I gave it a .dev on my setup and keep it in Devices\Effects\Stereo\Reverb
thx ... great !
Peter Drake wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:05 pm Your plan on 64 and 32 bit won't work. The respective versions of Scope need to be operating under the OS of the same size.
O.k., that´s what I feared ... (and why I´m urgently waiting for v7.1)

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:11 pm also if you attach ".dev" to the file you can use it as an insert effect.
cool ... 8)
yayajohn wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:11 pm OT: Bud just thought I'd pipe in here to share something about my setup which I'm happy as a clam with.
I have my Xite on my main DAW running 64bit (with the various known Scope limitations associated)
I also have a 2nd computer right next to it running a 26DSP PCI Scope (3 cards)
That computer is running Scope 7 Win 10 32bit. It uses one of the ADAT ports into the Xite-1 on the other computer. (MIDI I/O to hub)
This computer also is my internet computer.
So anyway, with this setup whatever I can't do on my Xite-1 64bit, I can do on the PCI computer so I don't find myself obsessing over things that I should be able to do on my Xite but can't yet or never will.
TBH I really don't find myself using the PCI computer very much except for STS or Zarg synths or something old like that.
For whatever it's worth, I hope you get it sorted.

Dan
Nice setup !
In fact, I have this option too when I decide using my Intel dual core XP machine for SCOPE 32Bit w/ PCI and XITE-1/SCOPE 7 x64 w/ the new machine.
But that´s much more work to set up now,- so I just only hoped for a simpler solution.
The 15DSP PCI card is still working w/ SCOPE 4.5 in a Intel PIV /Win XP SP2 machine,- but that´s too slow and too outdated meanwhile.

Bud
at0m

Post by at0m »

Bud,

fwiw, I'm not with the times - at all. xp32, scope5. an old box a friend ditched 10y ago.

if i have money to spare the next years, there's a whole lot of essentials that have priority over music gear. then for music, it's probably a sub, and an upgrade to a core2duo or something that'll come later.

if you need 64bit, quite a few here have scope in a 32bit machine and treat it as another piece of external hw - fx, routing, modular, synths,..

but that's a whole different topic indeed.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

at0m wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:37 am Bud,

fwiw, I'm not with the times - at all. xp32, scope5. an old box a friend ditched 10y ago.
I really love those stories and I myself, I´m far from buying/using the latest/greatest at all.
at0m wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:37 am if i have money to spare the next years, there's a whole lot of essentials that have priority over music gear. then for music, it's probably a sub, and an upgrade to a core2duo or something that'll come later.
I always looked at economic viability,- so I´m with you there.
Too much changed in music biz.
I made a lot of money w/ music in the past and threw it out of the window the same time it came in.
I´ll never regret ´cause it was for my personal fun and not for the others when I´m old and need to buy "friends".
Now, I suffer from mobility issues since 1 and a half decade,- doctors don´t help really,- means,- if I´d collected all the cash, I´d not be able to spent anymore,- except for the "helpers". :lol:
at0m wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:37 am if you need 64bit, quite a few here have scope in a 32bit machine and treat it as another piece of external hw - fx, routing, modular, synths,..
Because of "climate change" discussion in my country and follow up consequences like increased energy costs and such,- it makes no sense anymore ignoring power consumption of modern computer systems.
In germany, 25% of the energy price for the end user is TAXES,- and it raises every year !
Meanwhile, 1 KWh costs between 30 and 40 EUR/cents.
All the machines I actually use, use 550+ watts PSUs.
That´s ~ 1000 Watts when I run TWO,- and I run hardware in addition ...
Now, some modern hardware workstation keyboard might use between 30 and 50 Watts and most MIDI expnader modules I use, use about 20-30W average.
I can run several of these until I reach the power consumption of a 2nd computer.
That´s why I´m interested in using only ONE computer meanwhile ...

When I see what Behringer synth hardware costs today and have in mind it consumates 20-40W power a piece,- I wonder if computer technology is economic at all these days.
at0m wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:37 am but that's a whole different topic indeed.
possibly !

Bud