Tape delay 64 bits

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Re: Tape delay 64 bits

Post by JoPo »

astroman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:39 am Imho the only (!) convincing tape delay is Celmo's Vintage Delay. It does the noise and filter stuff in a stunningly natural way.
Only 2 taps, but you can add multiple instances for more complex patterns.
With Modular's virtual io-channels it's easy to integrate into a patch.
Sure but I'd like the tapedelay module in order to modulate as I wish the delay time that produce acceleration and slowind down of the tape. I would love to see the result by modulating it with the elestic Flexor module ! I need fun !
I can't do that with the Celmo vintage delay.

Anyways, apparently if those file existed, nobody remembers or have them ! Or we have them and they don't work... :D
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

I'm with JoPo; After having played with them again recently, I really do miss them. A new version would be welcome too with new features such as bpm sync and such but well i'm not holding my breath on that.
I'm pretty sure I saved all of the files that were circulating. Who knows, maybe one will work for you. Most likely they are the same files you have already tried though.
I'll post those some time next week if somebody else doesn't beat me to it.

And astroman, I do agree with you too. There are loads of excellent delays outside of modular. (dNa Optimus and SpaceF delays are awesome!)
One of the greatest things about Scope is if you hit a road block along the way, there most likely is another path you can take to achieve the same sound(or several for that matter) Semper Gumby!
astroman

Post by astroman »

I just checked the 'Tape Delay long' module on my XP 32bit system and had no trouble.
But I really wouldn't miss this thing if it were flawed to death. Just bury it and move on ;)
The speed up/down mod isn't my cup of tea at all.
But I'll lookup those old email files with the 64bit versions anyway, they must be on some disk archive.
astroman

Post by astroman »

here's what I consider the 64bit corrected version, but I can't check it for lacking a 64bit Scope system
Attachments
Tape sys.zip
(64.46 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks a lot, Astro !

But that seems a weird file to me... The .sys file name should be "tapeDelay64.sys" for 64 bits pc.

I don't dare to try it ! I hate computer crashes. Does anyone have more courage than I ? How does it work ?

Sometimes I think that it would be nice if Mr Holger took part in our discussions. Perhaps, he would help us on that kind of situation.
astroman

Post by astroman »

sorry, I picked them from an archive because the .zip contained only these 2 files and iirc Sonic Core had sent an update soon after the Mod4 release. But I can look further for stuff with 64 in it's name...
valis

Post by valis »

If files that get overwritten are simply backed up (or renamed with an appended .bak as in filename.sys > filename.sys.bak) then testing shouldn't break an existing installation, as you can simply reverse the process and remove any new files that were not already existing to get back to the original state.

Sadly I am only 32bit at the moment with my existing Scope setup and can't help test either. I had offered to buy a Scope Pro from someone to put it in my 64bit Xeon rig, if that ever occurs then hopefully I can contribute further. :)
astroman

Post by astroman »

JoPo was right (of course), here's the 64bit version attached - and it's definitely fixed.
The files were sent because they were missing on the install, and a note stated the fix, but: at Sonic Core they had no clue why they worked without problems on some 64bit installations and failed on others.
It seemed to depend on hardware and we know how variable this can be...
Attachments
TapeDelay64.zip
(26.29 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
valis

Post by valis »

Shall we test as a community and report results alongside configuration details? If we do so, we should standardize our details as presented so the differences can be clearly identified on a cursory glance to assist us in making some determinations (which should perhaps also be subsequently tested to verify...)
astroman

Post by astroman »

I would have posted the mail by Ralf Dressel from 2011, but it's in German.
Bottomline: we fixed the device long ago (so this copy is valid), and we have a Sony and an Asus Notebook both running a Win 64bit OS. One works, the other fails, no idea why.

Imho it's not worth messing around with it.
The accellerate - slow down is kind of fun, but the sound of this 'tape' is nothing to bother about, let alone there are no other control options.
It's easy to route an audio channel from Modular to one of the tape/echo devices and back into modular.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

It's all about having options, and having working versions of the product you pay for. Thanks for the files!
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thank you, Astroman ! In fact, those files are the same I've got already... Alas...
I think S|C should work on those files and send us working ones, ther is not much more to say, I believe.
astroman

Post by astroman »

in fact - but they tried to solve it inhouse and couldn't even figure out why one system failed and another worked.
(and they surely are more experienced than most of us in system debugging)
Afaik a significant portion of the software is based on M$'s Visual Studio and that's neither the most sophisticated nor most reliable toolchest... imho. Add the constantly changing hardware and things like this just happen as rare exceptions.