Modular shells with 8 midi inputs.

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

Liquid EDGE

Modular shells with 8 midi inputs.

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Could someone make/tweak mod2, mod3 and mod4 shells with 8 midi inputs?
JoPo

Re: Modular shells with 8 midi inputs.

Post by JoPo »

? I certainly missed something but why do you need 8 midi input ? I don't see any reason... :-?
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Mds8 (and seq modules) works when its in its own modular shell and assigned to dsp2 on xite.

I have a modular shell with 8 midi outs.

Most straight forward thing would be for modular shells to have 8 midi ins to be able to route from the working mds8 modular to the main modular shell with everything else in it.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

And if you use a midi merger, don't you obtain the same result ?
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

No.

mds8 , each output is on the same channel and is the same note. You can not set up different midi notes for each of the 8 tracks.
Each triggering output needs to be directly attached to what ever it's triggering.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

As I never use any seq module in modular, I don't know very well.. I just know it doesn't work very well... But as far as I know, MDS8 is just a sequencer with 8 tracks : one by drum part. This can be replaced by a midi loop or a daw midi links or even (I don't know if it works, in fact) the midi seq module...? Euuuh... No.. Midi seq will not output each drum part... Or by using 8 keyzone modules, it should work... But you can't edit easily the pattern..

But if the drum notes come from your daw, with 8 keyzone modules, you'll be able to trigger each of your drum parts in modular...? Ok.. I'm sure you already did that, I guess you'd like to have everything inside one modular shell.. I don't have any other idea... :D

And instead of building a 8 midi input modular shell (which I'm quiete sure someone like Shark could do), wouldn't be better to have a MDS8 without those issue ? But for that kind of module, for sure, it must be enough difficult to build... Like eveyone, I don't know if someone, at S|C, is working on those seq modules issues, but as industrial automatized repairer, I always prefer to fix the problem cause instead of the finding a workaround to fix the problem effect : the cause still remains present and one could forget about it. In some cases, like here, it's much easier to say than to do..

Edit : I forgot to say, also : you may find another way to achieve your needs by using some Silent Way vst module and some asio Scope input...
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

You right best if someone just "fixed" those devices. But it's been years and I want to use that stuff, inside scope.

So in the interim, just put the sequencing modules in its own shell assign to dsp2 and they work fine.

I'm no expert with making patches as this bug just made me not really bother as if I started making a sound I might get an idea and not be able to do it. So just been loading working patches and editing them.

Now though I'm encouraged to get back into building a synth or two, whatever.

I "think" most things in modular can be triggered by a midi input or a gate input. There is a midi to trigger module. So I think you would just load 2 8i/o modular shells, load mds8 into one load up 8 midi to trigger modules after mds8. Feed through the audio outs to the ins of the other modular shell with everything else in it, trigger whatever in there on the gate inputs.

But that's just extra messing. Though I suppose I could just creat a sequencer patch, save it. And have it there to load up assign to dsp2. DONE.

I was just at the studio for a short time yesterday and only messed with the 8 midi out shell. And was loving the fact that every edit on the mds8 just worked and applied!!

I'll have a look into the silent way stuff!
Just recently got hold of blueARP midi vst.
Yeah solutions can sort of been done elsewhere but it's not the same as having it in scope (particularly for modular patches)

I know what you mean about "remembering" stuff it's happened a couple of times where the system starts behaving strangely and then I spend ages trouble shooting only to discover I'm doing something that I fixed in the past and just plain forgot (like cubase midi sync being used causing the whole system to turn into a unreliable mess)

So I've done myself a bug/fact sheet for my studio, so that I don't get caught out again and so my mate doesn't need me around to operate it. I might post the full bug/fact sheet on planetz. Lots of it is info from around here. But it could be helpful for newcomers and others to have a nice full list of all the quirks on xite and things to be aware of like midi being a pile of messy unsynced rubbish if you do anything significant with it, so get a usamo box.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Liquid EDGE wrote:I might post the full bug/fact sheet on planetz.
Yes !
Liquid EDGE wrote:so get a usamo box.
Already done ! Usamo is worth it ! But with Silent way too you can have similar results, and even much more..
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

It was because of you I found out about the usamo box. Thanks jopo.
You made some thread about it.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Hey....

Don't worry I found the mds8 to drum map. That does the trick!!!!

Converts incoming signals to a different note.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Hah.

The shells we have at the moment can only cater for the mds8....

Need a modular shell with all the relevant ins and outs that all the seq devices use (such as gate etc)

Please, my life will be complete if this is sorted.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Finally ... :D I begin to believe that a modular shell with several midi I/o could be very convenient for few midi processing.... :wink:
David

Post by David »

Liquid EDGE wrote:Could someone make/tweak mod2, mod3 and mod4 shells with 8 midi inputs?
yes please, to work this way would be a welcome addition