XITE + PCI @ 96KHz

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

XITE + PCI @ 96KHz

Post by dante »

Now working with Reason to Scope at 96KHz, no Cubase - makes for a much improved workflow.

But first I needed a new way to connect PCI to XITE. I found the SMUX radio button on Pulsar II Sample Rate dialog and voila it worked, ADAT at 96KHz.

After a couple of sessions the dreaded crackles came over ADAT - I have had the issue before with Pulsar ADAT so used Luna 2 ADAT instead. But Luna has no SMUX.

Rebuilding the PCI project or restoring it from a backup worked, but again crackles came back,

Then I remembered some posts from Dawman about using AES/EBU at 96KHz so gave it a shot. Pulsar2 to XITE-1D via AES/EBU worked ! Although only 1 stereo pair that's all I needed for a couple of mono synths- synthbass on left and lead on right.

Seems to me a much more stable connection than the ADAT on my Pulsar 2.

Also seems wierd that once the crackles came it was embedded in PCI project - eg corrupted. Rebooting and reloading same PCI project still had crackles but rebuilding project got rid of them for a while.

Anyway AES/EBU seems the way to go.
pranza

Re: XITE + PCI @ 96KHz

Post by pranza »

once i had a pulsar that would crackle over toslink (adat/spdif) when it gets hot from video card.. the cure was to pull the optical cable from toslink connector back a little - just go through fixating 'click', not too far away from the beam that signal is lost :) although there's no way to hold a connector in place once its halfway in the socket. so maybe you just need better ventilation..

as for s/mux weird distortions - yes, sometimes there are, just click on 'adat' sync and then back to 's/mux' and it should go away...

anyways i can't understand why scope doesn't provide 88K sample rate. you can't play 88K files unless you have another card, feed pulsar from it with toslink or coax digital and then pulsar shows '96K' lock, but is locked at 88 and plays the content... but never by itself through asio - always gives an error even in slave mode.
dante

Post by dante »

Yes I tried re-initialising the sync parameters, eg click on 'adat' sync and then back to 's/mux' - air-blowing the Pulsar ADAT ports - and a few other tricks but it didnt work, seemed like something isolated to Pulsar and associated Project file, as Luna works. But I decided to go for AES/EBU since I only need 1 stereo pair anyway.

So far AES/EBU has been rock solid @ 96KHz, you wouldnt know that the synths I'm running on PCI were not in the XITE-1D project itself !
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Just curious, are you running the Xite as the master clock or an A16?
dante

Post by dante »

XITE is master - no A16 here.