Windows 8 x64: Unable to install Scope driver

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Liquid EDGE

Re: Windows 8 x64: Unable to install Scope driver

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Infact I still use cubase 4.5 and reason 5 and a Mic that's 5 years old.
They work. I can do what I need with it.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Liquid Edge wrote: Sc just seem to do stuff when it's actually needed.
I thought they worked some time on a Vista driver ...
Never eared anybody still usine Scope with Vista. So then, they lost some time on not so useful stuff, but it was MS fault, not their (I suppose/hope the job done at that time was useful for Win 7, at least).

Just forget Win 8 for a while and let SC focus on more important topics (i.e. Scope 6, SDK 6, GMI, ...)
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i still use xp it works every thing works with it

so many problems with 64bit and win7

with using programs to interface with 64bit os so that 32bit plugs can work using up more resources

and memory in the process with the bridge software

give the win7 and win8 a good 5-10years to mature

if its not broken dont fix it

so many complaints about samplers not working and other problems with the later os

when xp 32bit works great no problems at all

if things dont work then go back to what does

so many of my freinds jumped on the win7 64bit os and now they are reverting back to xp32bit becuase of audio problems with qbase kontakt

and many softsynth that just dont work

its about m,aking noise and if you spend your time p[issing in the wind trying to get programs to work with new os

you could of spent your time making music with the old os

come on we were doing alright music with win98 when scope came round the first time

i still use an atari for midi as usb midi is just crap at time keeping

and my 2 scope systems are running on p4 single core comps with 2gb memory and are still rock solid
garyb

Post by garyb »

+1

Cakewalf is NOT to be trusted when it comes to Microsoft. they also claimned that windows WDM drivers are the best choice, not surprising when ASIO is made by the mortal enemy Steinberg, but not helpful to their customers either.
VeryPSB

Post by VeryPSB »

Please stop the posts "I'm still using XP, why upgrade". I'm happy for you if you're happy with Windows XP, make your own thread for that. Please focus on the problem, lack of Windows 8 support, which seems to be caused by unsigned drivers. A workaround for that is to put Windows 8 in 'Test Mode', which I explained a few posts ago.
VeryPSB

Post by VeryPSB »

Off topic: The cakewalk article specifically states that the test results are an indication at best, and that real world experience with more test systems is needed when Windows 8 is widely available to confirm or invalidate the results.
garyb

Post by garyb »

to me the problem is when the computer becomes more important than working with audio, music.
that's just my bias, though.

it's not like i'm against anyone using windows 8, perish the thought!
i just don't see any practical reason to upgrade. not at this time, anyway...

of course, no one has to do what i say, or even agree with me. this is a public forum and we're having a public discussion.

i would point out that changing operating systems has NEVER made a computer faster. in fact, since programmers must redo their work and give up on bugfixes in progress, an os change almost always leads to problems and a system slowdown. it usually takes a good year or even longer for the software industry to retool and catch up. this is the reson that Macs used to run circles around windows PCs even though they were usually inferior machines, at least as far as specs go. the Aplle OS was the same from OS2 to OS9. programs that ran when os2 was new still worked great when OS9 came out. that allowed the code to be cleaned up and optimized, since programmers had many years to kill bugs. now, everything keeps changing so new software is constantly needed. this is good for Apple and M$.

again, the point of the computer is the work that one wants to do with it, not the computer itself. a win7 or even an XP machine will do what's needed, so why spend any extra money? although if the computer is the point of everything then my thinking is way out of line...

as to the theoretical extra performance of win8, i laugh at that idea. so win8 handlles the energy saving devices better than win7, so it performs better? so what? Scope computers have all that turned off. any difference in performace in such a machine between win7 and win8 will be miniscule at best because a Scope computer is ALWAYS running at full speed. it won't make the difference between a good production and a bad one in any case.

once last time, i'm just expressing my thinking on the matter, not telling anyone what to do.
VeryPSB

Post by VeryPSB »

My priorities have been changing over time. About a decade ago computer based music production had a higher priority than it has now. Now computers, storage, music distribution & networking have become a higher priority.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

VeryPSB wrote:I'm happy for you if you're happy with Windows XP, make your own thread for that. Please focus on the problem, lack of Windows 8 support
I think the thing is you're the only one that sees it as a problem, so the real issue is, going by this thread, is it worth SC's time creating a Windows 8 version of Scope when probably less than 1% of Scope users see it as an issue, and when that OS has not even been finalised, released and the inevitable aftermath of bugfixes been done? Really? Does that sound remotely practical for a small company?

Even if music was not my first consideration and the computer was, I would still wait until things settled to let everyone else find all the pitfalls. Is your life going to be radically that much better with 8 over 7?

If computer music is not now your priority then really you can't expect SC to jump through hoops for you - they need to concentrate on the music-making community, who as you have seen are, in many cases, happy with a stable working old OS. SC need to be practical about these sort of things and many companies still haven't caught up with 7 64-bit (I'm still waiting for a couple of VSTis to work).

When 8 gets released and has at least a year of debugging it may be worth looking at. Sorry if that isn't the trailblazing exciting answer you're after, but in the pro world people value stable systems over the latest OS (as an example I do Avid edit support in post-production facilities in London and the majority of places still used XP, some have only recently gone to 7, none will be trying 8 for quite some time).
Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
petal

Post by petal »

I believe that VeryPSB has gotten the point by now. The point of this thread, the way I see it, is if it is actually possible to make Scope work on windows 8 somehow.
If yes, then it is good. If not, tough luck (for all the reasons which has been mentionted by fx me also). Right now, we only know that Scope is not working out of the box, and it seems like VeryPSB is trying to figure out if it can be done somehow anyway, which I for one think is interesting to know.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

What is it that you want your computer to do verypsb?
fokas

Post by fokas »

Whatever works reliably .....
http://www.cultofmac.com/183823/183823/
dante

Post by dante »

The only point of interest I can see here, is whether WinXP users who intended to update to Win7 next year will now wait another 2 years and skip Win7 to go to a mature Win8.
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

windows 7 64bit is a step forward for some reasons.
windows 8???
I believe that it will have the destiny of vista. windows 9 perhaps will be more interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0fsyb-ttcw
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

dante wrote:The only point of interest I can see here, is whether WinXP users who intended to update to Win7 next year will now wait another 2 years and skip Win7 to go to a mature Win8.
Personally as I'm intending to get a laptop for XITE this year it will obviously have Windows 7. I intend to go for the 64-bit flavour, but I will also be including an XP partition for those times when you know it just works. I am waiting for 64-bit GForce VSTis, but I think most of my stuff (Kontakt, BFD2) is all 64-bit now - everything else is Scope.

Windows 8 would would be a minimum 2 years away for me personally. I mean if XP is, what, over 10 years old now then what chance of a big leap to 8? :lol: The whole Vista thing met with such disdain that I'm glad I stuck with XP this long.
petal

Post by petal »

So you guys are not even interested in finding out if it's possible to make Scope run on Windows 8?

I don't intend to upgrade soon either, but knowing if it is possible or not, is interesting to me.

If VeryPSB is willing to spend time finding out, why not support him?
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Good question Dante.
I have a pc with a "ready" hardrive with windows 7 64bit and my pc with 8gig ram installed.
Stuff is not fully ready for win7 64 bit but very soon it looks like it will be.
Also I have a proteus x software and it won't work with win 7 64 bit ( though I could pay to upgrade to the emulator x )
I would switch to win 7 64bit soon once all software works with it smoothly.
Native instruments have only just dropped "support" for winxp, though maschine works perftly fine.
Its really rather annoying ms are trying to "churn" out an operating system.
So no I wouldn't want to wait longer to switch to win 8.
Everything works and sounds very good, I'd much rather the audio companies just perfect their software on current operating systems.
Infact like I mentioned earlier. I still use cubase 4.5. But I am tempted by cubase 6 due to vst2 intergration with its cc121 controller and interesting new additions to midi editing. Don't care for reason 6 as I only really use Dr rex.
But to be honest I just want to make music with the fantastic tools I already have rather than constantly re install everything again and again.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

petal wrote:So you guys are not even interested in finding out if it's possible to make Scope run on Windows 8?

I don't intend to upgrade soon either, but knowing if it is possible or not, is interesting to me.

If VeryPSB is willing to spend time finding out, why not support him?
VeryPSB wrote:This is the end of the line for me, I'm dumping my Pulsar & Elektra DSP boards. I refuse to wait some several years (again) before Sonic Core 'supports' Windows 8.
P
Probably can't be bothered to support this guy because of a total lack of respect.
The cards he talks of have been kept going for almost 12 years because a company doesn't force you to buy new hardware and unnecessary shit. And this guy is having a go at sc not ms for making a operating system that isn't backwards compatible. Jeez.
petal

Post by petal »

If you had bothered to read through the thread you would have seen this: :)
VeryPSB wrote:Well, you need to be able to install unsigned drivers, since the Sonic Core drivers aren't signed. This is how you allow unsigned drivers in Windows 8:

"You can permanently enable Test Mode () by opening an Elevated Command Prompt and typing the following commands, then rebooting:

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

To turn it off again, use these commands:

bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF"

I've lost my keyfile, just requested a new one. Will let you know if it works, but the driver installs correctly now. :)
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Yeah I did see that. Not fussed about it and still think he had the wrong attitude about it.
What did he find out? That it was the fault of ms not sc.