connecting an external mixer to Luna2

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Merkury

connecting an external mixer to Luna2

Post by Merkury »

First of all,I have to say that I am a bit handicapped when it comes to technical stuff.... it took me a year to understand how to work with Luna2 :D now the question : i was using Luna2 mostly for guitar purposes,but now I would like to play guitar and sing thru scope at the same time....problem is I've got a mono Preamp (presonus tubepre) which features a single input,guitar or microphone (together they won't work) .I absolutely have no idea on how i could connect guitar and mic in the soundcard...I've thought a mixer,but then it would automatically sum the two signals leaving me with no control after recording.....then I thought about buying a converter,but i'm not sure if mixers features an output for each channel (never had a mixer in my life)

Plus consider that I'm using Yamaha monitors,and controlling their volume from SFP...so maybe a mixer would come in handy for that :D what do you think ??

THX !
dante

Re: connecting an external mixer to Luna2

Post by dante »

Since the Luna2 has only 1 analog input, you need to use one of the other inputs to get multiple seperate signals in. Something like a second hand Luna converter box, or an ADAT converter like the A16 Ultra or A16 MKII.

Alternatively you could split the stereo input on the luna so that 1 input is from the microphone and the other from the guitar, with appropriate seperate pre-amp for each ( or a stereo preamp also split so that one channel is guitar and the other mic ).

Even then there may be a bit of pickup of the guitar through the vocal mic.
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, the Luna uses a stereo plug which is tip/ring/sleeve. one channel on the tip and the other on the ring. a y cable like this one
YPP-117.jpg
YPP-117.jpg (40.88 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
will give you two inputs. you can use analog source left as one and analog source right as a second mono channel.
astroman

Post by astroman »

use the preamp with the microphone for vocals and plug it's output into one input of the Y-cable Gary posted above.
plug the guitar directly into the other one - use a mono channel for each on the mixer (well, what else... ) :D

if your guitar has active circuitry (it needs a battery) then it's a perfect connection.
otherwise (usually Strat or Tele, passive circuitry), there's an impedance mismatch, which will steal some tone from the guitar pickup.
But no harm will be done to anything connected.
It depends on personal taste how much you tolerate the signal loss. You may compare it to a clean channel on your amp.
Possibly the latter has a lineout ? You could use that as well to plug it to the Y-cable.

cheers, Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

i'd use a mic pre for the guitar, too.(DI box into a mic pre)
Merkury

Post by Merkury »

Ok guys thx ! That sounds very doable to me. But wouldn't I have 2 L and R signals at this point,that i cannot PAN ? Because in the first days,when i was using a normal stereo jack with luna,i had exactly this problem....the guitar was on the LEFT and there was NO WAY of putting it in the middle :D you know what i mean ? So should i find an Y cable,but BALANCED ?

Thanks again for your precious help.The guitar is a yamaha acoustic /electrified which sound fine without any other preamp.
garyb

Post by garyb »

analog source left goes to a MONO track. pan it any way you want.
analog source right goes to a MONO track. ditto.