Why? SampleDrum Oscillator or Sample OSC

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

maky325

Why? SampleDrum Oscillator or Sample OSC

Post by maky325 »

Why anything i load in SampleDrumOSC sound different then in any other sampler. Note that i am not whining - sound is perfectly useable. But i am interested why does my drum samples sound different in pitch when loaded. For example my 909 ride sound same in Kontakt, DirectWave or name it as you like. But not in Sample DrumOsc or sample oscilator.

Even when i fine tune pitch to match original sample - sample volume envelope is not the same. It seems more "clicky" thus it gives totally different sound on BassDrums or Hihats and so on. I tried CwM modules but they have same effect. Sound is different.

Anybody?
w_ellis

Re: Why? SampleDrum Oscillator or Sample OSC

Post by w_ellis »

Maybe envelopes in Scope allow for shorter attack? That would explain the clickiness. I always end up nudging attack in Scope envs up a tiny bit to avoid clicking.
maky325

Post by maky325 »

Actually i had same idea (about scope having faster envelope) but you know what this could mean? That any other Native sampler such as Kontakt or Halion actually play sounds different i mean not in the way they where recorded. And i am finding this hard to believe. For example they sound same in Kontakt and in Scope STS5000!! But in Modular they sound different.

Then again - like it totally. Drums are more snappy. But i would like to have "normal" behavior sometimes.
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

I don't think it's worth worrying too much. Each sampler instrument will have subtle differences in how it plays back the sound. The only way you'll guarantee to get the "original" sound back is to paste it into an arrangement, rather than playing through a sampler. However, probably best to just use your ears and if the sound is good use it, otherwise tweak.
maky325

Post by maky325 »

w_ellis wrote:I don't think it's worth worrying too much. Each sampler instrument will have subtle differences in how it plays back the sound.
Yeah but this is far from being subtle. IMO. Should i post examples?
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Why not, it can't hurt to check out the specific differences.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Please post examples. That's a lost artform here but it always helps others.
I have been using Modular w/ Sample Oscillators and have occasional inconsistencies depending on how many modules I am using in a patch.
I thought maybe it was because of my way of not loading the Sample Pool into the project.
I would like to track this down too.
maky325

Post by maky325 »

Sure. I am attaching picture, dry sample and sequenced example. It's 909 ride. Dry sample is obviously dry sample(i've renamed it from tr909 to "dry sample" to avoid confusion). In mp3 example you will hear sequenced sample in this order - dry sample loaded in Kontakt (but really any other sampler produce same result/sound including STS5000) then default sample i mean once when loaded in Drum sample oscillator in Modular. Thus it is called dry_drumosc_dry_drumosc - You will hear that it is differently tuned. Scope Drum sample OSC sometimes tune samples higher in pitch?!? On that picture you will find what values i changed to match tuning to be same as in any other sampler. But weird thing is that this randomly different ?!? Sometimes it is not -1, -18 ???
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

dry_sample.rar
(80.83 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (12.32 KiB) Viewed 3267 times