Info about the release of SCOPE XITE-1 and SCOPE 5

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Gordon Gekko

Re: Info about the release of SCOPE XITE-1 and SCOPE 5

Post by Gordon Gekko »

a bear and a rabbit are taking a shit into the woods..
the bear asks the rabbit:

- do you have problems with shit sticking to your fur?
- huh, no

So the bear grabs the rabbit and wipes his ass with it
Badger

Post by Badger »

garyb wrote:
Shroomz~> wrote:If only bombs didn't explode on impact...
sometimes they don't...
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unexploded_ordnance: "In the aftermath of the 2006 war between Israel and Lebanon, it is estimated that southern Lebanon is littered with[2] one million undetonated cluster bombs - approximately 1.5 bombs per Lebanese inhabitant of the region, dropped by Israeli Defense Forces in the[3] last days of the war."

Interesting response, Gary... :wink:
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

o m g i went so far off topic i had to delete this.
Badger

Post by Badger »

Actually, I remember Creamware stating on their website years ago that Linux support was originally planned for Scope back then, even though it never actually materialised.

More recently, I came across this page: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/03/0 ... -platform/ on which (in the comments section), Paul Davis (primary developer for Ardour http://www.ardour.org) makes some interesting comments in respect of the Scope platform in general and the Xite in particular.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

How much time do think is lelft?
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, Paul isn't very smart in his conclusion
...Seriously: Universal Audio are one of the few companies who have managed to make a moderate success out of selling add-on h/w for DSP, and one of the keys to their success, IMHO, is that they sold *plugins* and the price point was somewhat reasonable...
Universal Audio is a big fat name in what you call 'vintage' business today
THAT label for bargain is the only fact that sells their stuff, regardless how it sounds :D

cheers, Tom
Badger

Post by Badger »

astroman wrote:well, Paul isn't very smart in his conclusion
...Seriously: Universal Audio are one of the few companies who have managed to make a moderate success out of selling add-on h/w for DSP, and one of the keys to their success, IMHO, is that they sold *plugins* and the price point was somewhat reasonable...
Universal Audio is a big fat name in what you call 'vintage' business today
THAT label for bargain is the only fact that sells their stuff, regardless how it sounds :D

cheers, Tom
Well, I don't know Paul personally, but in the knowledge of his remarkable achievements to date with Jack, Ardour, Amazon(!), SSL etc., I'd be inclined to hesitate before bringing his intelligence into question. I don't see the point of bashing UAD here; after all, whatever the reasons, there's no denying that they ARE a successful company with up-to-date product on the market.
Last edited by Badger on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

My opinions re: UAD aside (bang for buck mainly), I actually like what Paul has done with Ardour.

However, without programming resources at S/C and demand for Linux, it may not happen for a while. I think we forget that we're sort of in the 'minority of the minority' with a dedicated DSP system in a market full of VST plugins running on CPU's.

If anything UAD and Powercore guys have helped support the success of the DSP paradigm, so this is a good thing IMO.

I think it just comes down to S/C having the time and economics for supporting Linux on top of Windoze/MacOS at this time.

I think Paul should revisit the Sonic Core chaps and start fresh with his intentions to support the Scope paradigm for Linux.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, he's being a real prima donna there.
astroman

Post by astroman »

Badger wrote:Well, I don't know Paul personally, but in the knowledge of his remarkable achievements to date ...
neither do I, and so I didn't write that Paul isn't smart, but his reasoning about UAD's success is just plain stupid, because it ignores the most important fact in sales: the brand
I've spent more than a decade in tech sales and I can assure you that at best 10% of the contracts were based on 'objective' facts.
People are people :D

cheers, Tom
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Yup, people ARE people :D

Greg
Badger

Post by Badger »

siriusbliss wrote:... I think Paul should revisit the Sonic Core chaps and start fresh with his intentions to support the Scope paradigm for Linux.
Greg
An excellent suggestion!
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Badger wrote:More recently, I came across this page: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/03/0 ... -platform/ on which (in the comments section), Paul Davis (primary developer for Ardour http://www.ardour.org) makes some interesting comments in respect of the Scope platform in general and the Xite in particular.
No offense to anyone that I mention here, but Paul Davis obviously has an old gripe with former Creamware staff regarding his attempts to get Creamware to allow himself & other Linux programmers open access to the Scope environment software & the software on the hardware itself, something which ultimately could have easily been as devastating as worthwhile for Creamware. Paul Davis, like other Linux gurus & members of the 'hacker' community like Jay Vaughan simply don't see Scope for what it is, because they have a completely different outlook. Those guys are not looking for a high-end virtual studio environment solution in hardware to use for professional music production, they're simply looking for anything at all that they can get to work on & improve the Linux system & experience whether they need to bodge it together or not. Jah Vaughan (who was working for one of Sonic Core's competitors) is the type of guy that screams on about getting 2000 programmers working on a $150 low cost development environment on a thread about XITE-1 because he's of that type of open source programmer mentality (used to develop virtual instruments on Motorola dsps for one of Sonic Core's competitors) & has no need for an XITE-1 and wouldn't put Sonic Core's new hardware to the type of use it was designed for IE- A high-end solution for anyone who wants a virtual studio environment in flexible hardware. Paul Davis, makes marketing & target audience comparisons between the XITE-1 and the Soundart Chameleon apparently without the slightest bit of knowledge of either environment (he didn't know what type of dsp was in the chameleon) or even thinking about their rather obvious & massive differences. It's nice to read all that stuff & different people's opinions & viewpoints, but at the end of the day Scope & XITE are what they are & it's perfectly obvious that some people don't like it even when they either haven't looked into it thoroughly enough to be sniping or simply aren't interested in using the platform for what it is anyway.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Thanks Shroomz,

Yeah, I noticed a little bit of an 'attitude' regarding getting Samplitude to run on Linux - claims that Magix wasn't very supportive or whatever (gee, what do you expect from 10 programmers?). OK, whatever...

So, then I guess it's up the battle of the 'OS cultists' to see what Xite / Scope5 can really do, eh?

Could it be setup as a mighty video rendering engine? :P :D
Or perhaps the ultimate 3D gaming core?

Naw, I'll just stick with the tried-n-true audio processing monster that it is.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Badger wrote:Actually, I remember Creamware stating on their website years ago that Linux support was originally planned for Scope back then, even though it never actually materialised.

More recently, I came across this page: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/03/0 ... -platform/ on which (in the comments section), Paul Davis (primary developer for Ardour http://www.ardour.org) makes some interesting comments in respect of the Scope platform in general and the Xite in particular.
After reading the nutty dumb comments by various people on that createdigitalmusic comment thingy i had to smoke atleast 5 ciggys....This paul davis guy is IMO just upset he couldnt get into the codebase of creamware and prolly was just nosey to rip off a few things.Linux is not a plattform for any studio that is making money.
Reading the drivel he wrote and comming off as mr programm guru of whatever stroke me.Alone the intel will outperform it in a few month bla bla is just stupid.And dont get me started on the digidesign comments.... :x :evil: :evil: :evil:
astroman

Post by astroman »

interesting thoughts, Shroomz ... :D

well, reading Paul's resume at the TU Berlin one might suspect he's not that good in estimating market trends himself...
...Previously, Davis was one of the founding programmers at Amazon.com, though leaving early in the life of the company. ...
I may remember that wrong, though - but didn't have 'early' employes of that company stock options that would have turned into a real fortune today ?

of course this is pure sarcasm, but he's kind of bragging with Amazon on his Ardour page himself...
btw (in case anyone seen that screenshot of the prog)...
how can you come up with a routing diagram like the 'spaghetti squared' mess on the right ?
symptomatic... ?
snip --- OS rant --- snip

cheers, Tom
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

astroman wrote:interesting thoughts, Shroomz ...
Not very well worded though. I was typing in a hurry. :oops:
astroman

Post by astroman »

Shroomz~> wrote:
astroman wrote:interesting thoughts, Shroomz ...
Not very well worded though. I was typing in a hurry. :oops:
yeah, some attempts are wasted ...
no need to hurry
just noticed that the article doesn't refer to NAMM, but to Frankfurt one year ago - oops :D

cheers, Tom
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

just noticed that the article doesn't refer to NAMM, but to Frankfurt one year ago - oops :D
Yep, I noticed that as well, but it doesn't matter. It is what it is now. A delayed hardware product that will undoubtedly be better off from having the delay & those who don't see it's value, probably don't need or want it anyway, so no skin off anyone's nose.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Shroomz~> wrote:
Yep, I noticed that as well, but it doesn't matter. It is what it is now. A delayed hardware product that will undoubtedly be better off from having the delay & those who don't see it's value, probably don't need or want it anyway, so no skin off anyone's nose.

From my point of view, there is a added value in favor of SC. From the first show in NAMM 2008, the product have been modified listening to many of this forum wishes. Z-link, adat.., and so on I don´t remember the details. There is a human factor, not only money, chips or marketing. In this times of economic crisis, it´s really nice see how this guys still work on their machine, and how users stay waiting for it. Scope family, seems to be, a family, after all.