Paradox relese on THURSDAY Please send your presets

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: Teaser :D

Post by dawman »

Ladies & Gentlmen...............Shroomz...ankyu.
Neutron...you guys did a grand job on this puppy.
I can get sounds Oscillators disabled just as easy as stacking them.
Only thing I see that's needs a fix is that I have to open up the GUI from the Live Bar.
I get the preset pop up in the routing window when I try to open it up.
Do you need a jpeg of the pop up?
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

i know about that. should be fixed soon.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I refuse to buy it until it's fixed............... :x :lol:
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Bump for please read first post again :)

If you are intersted in testing or preset making please PM for link to beta
dawman

Re: Neutron Paradox Beta and preset making for release.

Post by dawman »

The 6th LFO selection in the bottom row?
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

thats lfo modulator, and it can modulate itself.
it had that on all the betas with shroom graphic.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I am having great success by using all 4 envelopes shut down and than adding amounts to the DS portions.
I am always subtracting stuff, this is a new way of Addition for me.

Coolness.

PARADOACTYL.mp3

Here's some dynamic modualtions.
The KF's are cool as I can have really crisp low end with a smooth high end, and vice versa.
Don't know what I'm doing but this is a real tweaker and makes me play all registers as the sound varies from top to bottom.
ElectronicaDub

Post by ElectronicaDub »

This device sounds great. I think I annoyed my neighbour tonight because I've been doing massive, buzzy basslines and showed him no remorse. I just got in there and fiddled with the knobs. I have a 4 Sharc board. I got 3 voices. For this modern electro thing type of music I hear in the clubs, this synth will cut the mustard, and probably everyones's head off. With a little compression, it is so fat it'll show up on radar. All in all, I is impressed :D
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Jimmy thats a really good preset you made there, I hope you saved it! :o

Thanks electron, im glad you could get a few voices to play. no errors or anything, thats great :D

maybe maybe its going to get played on xite-1
I sent warp69 the beta link :D
I know..yeah right
dawman

Post by dawman »

I am finding out that presets are best used as a template with Paradox.
It's a synth that is meant to be tweaked in real time.
I did save the preset of course.
But I have used this as a template, then made others using the same controls, but changing the waveforms of the Oscillator.
I shall do the same with envelope selections next.
This is different then other synths, so I have taken a different approach.
Chugging vast quantities of wine helped me cope with the new strategy of manipulation.... :lol: ...Ankyu.
ElectronicaDub

Post by ElectronicaDub »

Submitted by mistake.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

has anyone recieved an error message about unable to connect signal switch blah blah

i got it 2 times switching between "buzz" and "basement amp" presets then it would not repeat itself.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have no error messages, but this thing ain't working.
It has all of these wierd sounds and modulations that I cannot control.
The most minute movement of a controller yeilds strange tunings and modulations that create unheard of textures, and I can have 10 voices of Polyphony and play it like a Fender Rhodes or any keyboard. So something's not right with this Freak Synth............. :D
untitled.JPG
GAYSYNTHMUZAK.mp3
Brazda lui Novac

Post by Brazda lui Novac »

Oh yeah, I love it! Great synth Neutron and great design Shroomz. I tested it for a few hours now and did not find any bugs. Here on 18 DSP's (3+15) i got 16 voices without anything else loaded @44Khz and 4 voices@96Khz. I really like the overtones thing, it's the first time I've seen it on a synth. However I found two strange things, but I'm not sure if this is on purpose, or a bug or I missed something. First thing is that the main oscillators sounds a bit muddy, like they are already filtered a bit. I recorded some waveforms and the square wave and saw wave shape is rounded almost as a sine wave. The AUX oscillator however does sound right. It's a bit rounded also, but less, and it does sound right. I personally always filter the oscs a bit, so it's fine for me, but sometimes you need a spike at the attack which is bright. The second thing is that I could not manage to change the pulse width from the freq/pw pot, but probably I didn't do the right thing, or "pw" is not meant to be pulse width? Anyway, I'm happy with Paradox as it is right know, it sounds lovely, I think you did a great job, and I thank you for that! And great patches Jimmy :)
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Noticed a minor GUI thing - following the centre detent principle shouldn't the two Key knobs in the filter section have dots to signify a +/- value?
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Brazda lui Novac wrote:Oh yeah, I love it! Great synth Neutron and great design Shroomz. I tested it for a few hours now and did not find any bugs. Here on 18 DSP's (3+15) i got 16 voices without anything else loaded @44Khz and 4 voices@96Khz. I really like the overtones thing, it's the first time I've seen it on a synth. However I found two strange things, but I'm not sure if this is on purpose, or a bug or I missed something. First thing is that the main oscillators sounds a bit muddy, like they are already filtered a bit. I recorded some waveforms and the square wave and saw wave shape is rounded almost as a sine wave. The AUX oscillator however does sound right. It's a bit rounded also, but less, and it does sound right. I personally always filter the oscs a bit, so it's fine for me, but sometimes you need a spike at the attack which is bright. The second thing is that I could not manage to change the pulse width from the freq/pw pot, but probably I didn't do the right thing, or "pw" is not meant to be pulse width? Anyway, I'm happy with Paradox as it is right know, it sounds lovely, I think you did a great job, and I thank you for that! And great patches Jimmy :)
im not sure why the main osc would be filered. the only filter is the actual one in the filter section. i will take a look with ocilloscope this afternoon.

pulse width only works when that osc is a square wave and its quite hard to notice at lower frequency on the overtone and when modulated by EGs should be fine with an lfo, ill double check it remember the overtone is muted when the core osc is zero crossing, so if the pulse happens to be very narrow and at the start or end of a core osc cycle you wont hear it.

at higher overtone frq, that wont matter because the overone gets to run more than one cycle before it is muted and reset.

about the key knobd, mr A, yes you are right, i missed that out. oops
Last edited by Neutron on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brazda lui Novac

Neutron wrote:
Brazda lui Novac wrote:Oh yeah, I love it! Great synth Neutron and great design Shroomz. I tested it for a few hours now and did not find any bugs. Here on 18 DSP's (3+15) i got 16 voices without anything else loaded @44Khz and 4 voices@96Khz. I really like the overtones thing, it's the first time I've seen it on a synth. However I found two strange things, but I'm not sure if this is on purpose, or a bug or I missed something. First thing is that the main oscillators sounds a bit muddy, like they are already filtered a bit. I recorded some waveforms and the square wave and saw wave shape is rounded almost as a sine wave. The AUX oscillator however does sound right. It's a bit rounded also, but less, and it does sound right. I personally always filter the oscs a bit, so it's fine for me, but sometimes you need a spike at the attack which is bright. The second thing is that I could not manage to change the pulse width from the freq/pw pot, but probably I didn't do the right thing, or "pw" is not meant to be pulse width? Anyway, I'm happy with Paradox as it is right know, it sounds lovely, I think you did a great job, and I thank you for that! And great patches Jimmy :)
im not sure why the main osc would be filered. the only filter is the actual one in the filter section. i will take a look with ocilloscope this afternoon.

pulse width only works when that osc is a square wave and its quite hard to notice when modulated by EGs should be fine with an lfo, ill double check it

about the key knobd, mr A, yes you are right, i missed that out. oops
Yes I know that the only viewable filter is in filter section. Just check with the filter open with no resonance, and after that the aux oscillator. It's pretty clear. I don't know what kind of oscillator you used, you can get the same effect from a morph oscillator from square to wave for example, so it should not be necessarily a filter, it's just sounds like that. Another reason could be (if I remember well) the AUX oscillator is not passing through the filter section and the filter does not open fully...just guessing.

I did not expect the pulse width to work with other waveform than square (however this can be done with sawtooth waves on other synths). Now I left the studio and cannot check until monday but I remember I was assigning the freq/pw pot to all LFO's and ENV's and did not hear any change. The change should be pretty obvious, specially in extreme settings. If it works that way then it should be named PWM, not PW. On all synths I know, PW changes the pulse width manually, when the PWM enables the modulating from LFO's, ENV's etc...
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

the main oscs are a bit "slow" in risetime they are based on LFOs. they need to be because they have to sync start.
so i cant really change it. i noticed on the scope that saw waves have one sharp point, and the other is rounded. with squares the
leading edge is rounded and the trailing is sharp.

anyways if you want perfect waveforms i think you are looking in the wrong place :)

i was just using the pwm. it seems fine, it does only affect the overtone, which you probably know. and at some settings it will be quite subdued by the edge muting mechanism.
i agree it should be called pwm its on the list of changes for next ver.
Attachments
oscs.jpg
oscs.jpg (136.5 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
Brazda lui Novac

As I mentioned before I think it's already a great synth, so your LFO based oscillator does help in my opinion because to me it sounded fatter than the AUX oscillator, so both mixed give a full sound. The only suggestion would be that the AUX oscillator to pass through the filter section too. (I'm not sure but I remember that it does not pass through right now, please correct me if I'm wrong)

I did not expect perfect waveforms in digital domain as I hate aliasing ;) I just want to know the basic shapes of the waveforms from the synths I'm using. Until now, it helped.

And forget about the classic PWM, there are plenty of synths with that.

cheers,

Victor
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

great audio demo by jimmy. :)