FleXor future

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

FrancisHarmany

Re: FleXor future

Post by FrancisHarmany »

The ability to use flexor on multiple hosts......
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

FrancisHarmany wrote:The ability to use flexor on multiple hosts......
how is that even related and why would'nt you be able to?
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

ReD_MuZe wrote:
FrancisHarmany wrote:The ability to use flexor on multiple hosts......
how is that even related and why would'nt you be able to?
@plonter wrote: + we will have the freedom the Move between the main DAW to the Lap top on the run :)
I'm not saying we wont be able to. I just thought that was an important advantage to plonter compared to scope cards!
@plonter

Post by @plonter »

Hi all Thanks for the Worm Welcome :)

OK here 2 main reasons that first came up

1-Not to insult Asaf but if one day Adern will close there gates and my DAW crashed no one to tern to for activations

2- i can move from my Main DAW to my LapTop ( in case we get 2 non Hardware activation or more "still if DAW Crash and no more Adern my FleXor is gone" ) and Also move from My Studio To friend Studio for extended Work.

i'm not saying the Challenge / Response is not a Kind of "privilege" to caver loss or damage but it's not perfect!

i keep my ILok and syncrosoft safe same as i keep my Project HDD

Also Ilok.com ofer insurance for damage and For loss or stolen Waves.com give you 3Month Lecince every 3month and in case of Loss you Cover,as opposed to ILok that don't cover loss
Still it's not perfect

Maybe if Licence Devices will have "Fuzz Protection" damage is reduced.

For Loss Keep it safe Like a Priceless Guitar or Spacial White Cat :)
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

about loss of serials : heres a trick that should hold up for many years now: gmail yourself the keys and they way they will be archived, much safer than any i lok.

about making your software copy portable : we have some cool ideas about that we cant really reveal yet ;)

we are currently looking at alternative software protection methods, but we don't know what we will end up using yet. we want to have a system that has minimum impact on the software and its usability.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

ReD_MuZe wrote:about loss of serials : heres a trick that should hold up for many years now: gmail yourself the keys and they way they will be archived,
...and print those mails to paper from time to time. there is no guarantee your freemail account will store everything forever.
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin »

Wow what a strange bit if news. This is a MASSIVE loss for SC. It also makes me wonder what it will do for the value of my scope card as in my circle of friends Flexor is one of the little secrete weapons one can have. And now that it will be out for all the secrete is gone. I am sure that you guys will make a lot more cash selling to the vst market though. No debate there. It is a good move in the end.

P.s. if you want to keep your product you may want to go with Syncrosoft. Ilok is nothing but a pain in the ass and an inconvenience to the customer as it is always cracked quickly. As for Syncrosoft it keeps the value of my products. It makes selling my software the same as selling hardware. You can only get it if you have the licence and that is that.
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

I don't see this as bad news for SC, but instead good news for Gogma & their customers. Also may be a net win for SC if people try the VST incarnation and then become exposed to the advantages of the Scope environment.
The first action people should take is to remove cash from Banrural, and break the banks of corrupt people. #escandalogt
dawman

Post by dawman »

What a positive outlook you have Capacitor. :D
Assaf is a synthesist and musician, and only believes that everyone should be able to enjoy making music.
Many upcoming musicians have the benefit of using VST's as a launching into hardware and other levels of investment.
The idea of having such a powerful and excellent sounding tool w/ a laptop or home PC and one of these...........http://www.amazon.com/Roll-Piano-Beginn ... 387&sr=8-4 ..............is a benfit I wish I had when I was just getting started.
Of course Flexor will be a serious app no matter if it's VST or DSP. I wonder how many will go w/ an XITE-1/Scope 5.0, or even the real analog approach?
Hell I could even learn Modular better w/ a small portable rig like this. Just to practice I have to take a 4U ATX home everynight. This approach is much more mobile and can spit out finished tunes or mock ups in a heart beat when integrated into a VST sequencer app.

I look forward to it. :D
ironman

Post by ironman »

redmuze will the native flexor sound just as good as scope flexor does?? or is there a loss in quality due to being a vst? i ask because i am yet to find any vsts that come close to the crisp sound quality i get from scope synths.
at0m

Post by at0m »

stardust wrote:VST are sooner or later warezed the DSP version will not, per definition.
So you mean this DSP platform or some of its plugins have never been warezed?
Well, they have been many versions ago. IMHO the only reason recent Scope version hasn't, is that this platform has a relatively small userbase and thus didn't draw enough attention to put in the, admittedly, extra effort to do so.
Running as VST, the target audience enlarges by a factor of -I'm making something up- a thousand. This adjusts the return per effort accordingly. So yes, realistically, the VST copy protection will be cracked one day...
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
at0m

Post by at0m »

ironman wrote:will the native flexor sound just as good as scope flexor does?? or is there a loss in quality due to being a vst? i ask because i am yet to find any vsts that come close to the crisp sound quality i get from scope synths.
As an objective observer, I'd say the most obvious difference will be the realtime advantage which the DSP platform has, and the inherent latency of the native version caused by the soundcard drivers.
So expect a connectivity and latency drawback, depending on your soundcard's drivers. At the same time, a native platform has some polyphonic and UI advantages, no longer being restricted by DSP load or Scope's interface. So some platform-dependant trade-offs will arise, each has their pro's and con's depending on the situational requirements.

The low-level technology of FleXoR and thus its "sound" will be at least preserved, but most likely improved considering the extra time spent on enduring research... At last, I'm sure redmuze won't compromise sound quality :)

For more details, specifically on FleXoR's future VST sound/crispness, it's up to redmuze to enlighten us ;)
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

Only succesful copy protection is Syncrosoft. Nothing else works and is ultimately pointless.
No problem for Cubase and Korg Legacy users (just add the licence on the dongle).

Sound quality -- prob related to CPU power and programming of the plug-in.

I think a lot of potential users of a native Flexor would have fairly powerful machines.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Personally I don't like the idea of YamaBerg owning Syncrosoft.
It reeks od M$ & Big Brotrher.
....http://www.syncrosoft.com/Dec._1_2008_A ... 78-67.html

I am going totally to Reaper/Kontackt/Soniccore.
I shall still use Cubase as it's far superior for workflow in MIDI.
But Gigastudio, Cubase and any other dongle app stays off the stage.
Only because it's another little thing I must remeber to gaurd.
I still understand why they are needed though.
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

Mike Goodwin wrote: It also makes me wonder what it will do for the value of my scope card as in my circle of friends Flexor is one of the little secrete weapons one can have.
FleXor will continue to be that "secret weapon", since there will be more than 300 modules. each patch will be totally unique and the chances someone making the same patch as you are slim ;)
redmuze will the native flexor sound just as good as scope flexor does?? or is there a loss in quality due to being a vst? i ask because i am yet to find any vsts that come close to the crisp sound quality i get from scope synths.
flexor will sound better than it does now. vst sound quality has nothing to do with technology and everything to do with RnD ;)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Definately agree w/ RnD.
I have heard the Sonalksiss Mastering Suite and was shocked at it's high quality, and at the way it can devistate a Core 2 Duo Quad.
But I have always backed away from VST FX and VSTi instruments and stayed w/ DSP's, but have been impressed with several instruments I have demo'd recently.
But I am not looking to replace analog, but rather supplement it.
Camel Audio has some great sounding stuff, and yes Reaktor has caught my eye, bur Flexor optimized for multiple threads?...........

That Dog Will Hunt.
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

Jimmy, actually an old VST/standalone modular has EXCELLENT sound - it has over 100 modules and is coded in Delphi

http://www.software-technology.com/

Click on Vaz Modular

The dev, Martin Fay, is just doing maintenance updates at the moment - I'm not sure when or if version 4 is coming out. It was CPU hungry in the past - but no prob with the more powerful CPUs

I'm sure you must have come across this before
at0m

Post by at0m »

strav100 wrote:Only succesful copy protection is Syncrosoft. Nothing else works and is ultimately pointless.
Maybe things have changed recent years, but my SX2 worked better with the cracked syncrosoft .dll than with my USB dongle which seemed to cause some annoying problems. Since, my dongle has returned to the box from whence it came.

Nothing is uncrackable IMO, given enough time and motivation to the knowledgeable. Like stardust said, a DSP platform has the obvious advantage that at least one needs to invest in the DSP's before it can be put to use in any way.

All machines are running Linux at home, and at least untill the house (and music studio) construction is finished in a month or two, all software I use is free GNU/GPL and my Scope cards and DAW harddisks are boxed... ready to be inserted in the DAW again when the studio finishes.
Then what am I doing in this copy-protection discussion!? I must be having too much time here at work. Realizing that, I give the topic back to the creative and forward-thinking on the Z. But maybe that'd be food for a totally new topic ;)
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

stardust wrote:I didnt know that scope has been cracked.but still you need the card 'dongle'. :)
To my knowledge, technically, regular Scope devices have never been 'cracked'. The only issue was for some demo versions of plug-ins that Creamware made. I think the exploit had to do with a time-out feature in the demo versions - it allowed these versions to be used without timing out.

john b.
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

copy protection is over-rated.