Scope and External Hardware Latency

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fidox

Scope and External Hardware Latency

Post by fidox »

Hi !

I'm not first time user of external hardware equipment, but have one question,
i have 2 computers, main audio (3 cards installed) and second with Luna II , connected over midi and SP-DIF in/out,
now i also have one old Roland sound module, which i had already connected to Luna II (maybe one year ago), but i noticed that when i play some sounds from sound module, there's little late response while playing,

right now i have 3ms latency between computers,

does sound module has it's own latency, or, if i have 3ms latency selected, should also sound module use that latency ? i know, i should try it for myself and test it,
but before i connect all those cables, maybe someone will answer before :)

i hope i was understandable,

have nice time

matej
dawman

Re: Scope and External Hardware Latency

Post by dawman »

I only used the AES/EBU I/O's for external effects, and the Analog I/O's for my analog synths, but have never had any latency before.

But using a second DAW via LAN or MIDI I have never tried. i can only say that USB MIDI and Firewire seem to be nothing but trouble amongst the performers I know.

Which Roland module are you using, and what hardware I/O's does it use?
fidox

Post by fidox »

i'm using Roland M-DC1 (dance module), i had tons of other hardware before, but NOT creamware cards,
it's just simple 8-part module, i want to use just percussion part, it has midi in/out/thru, stereo output and audio input, then i connect it
to Luna box ,
setup goes like this, from my main audio midi out, to module midi thru, from module to another computer midi in, and that's all,

i already had connected that module, but i remember there were some latency if i played some sound from module, maybe cause i didn't have the lowest
latency selected on my cards ? don't remember, but i wonder if that has something to do also with module latency, so there is minimum response while i play
in sequncer all together
borg

Post by borg »

For all I know, hardware controlled by midi will always introduce some latency. Midi isn't really a fast protocol.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Why don't you connect your Roland module to your other Scope cards? Look: This chain of MIDI out - MIDI in and the latency of your Scope cards makes a sum of time you can feel. Try to simplify this chain.
I have 2 DAWs, too. But all hardware sound modules are connected to the 1st DAW with a cheap Fostex VC-8 (only 16 bit, that's enough imo). The 2nd DAW is used for a STS-3000 and other things to economise PCI-bandwidth on the 1st DAW.

Good luck, Thomas
fidox

Post by fidox »

Herr Voigt wrote:Why don't you connect your Roland module to your other Scope cards?

well i have just Luna II cards on both computer , other 2 cards are Pulsar2 XTC,
i was just thinking, right now i have 2 computers connected thru midi in/out and minimum latency selected, 3ms, works fine, so if i add this module between recent connection and leave minumum latency, should module also work with that latency response or it has own latency,
but i was thinking other solution, i'll sample few sounds which i want to use from that roland module and use them with sampler, cause i just want to use percussion part, but will took longer, like realtime midi..... :)

matej