SCOPE XITE-1: new DSP hardware from Sonic Core!

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

hubird, my point was there is such negativity about this product and yet
a) we don't know the final spec
b) the final spec may not even be decided when it appears at Messe, many products change after people have made comments at these events.

Can we please be negative after we know the full possibilities and limits of this machine?
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

Tom will be there at Frankfurt. hope he can give us updates on 12th.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Just think there is still room for the all range from Scope Home to Socpe Pro.
XITE-1 just (!) had one more future-proof and more mobile solution to the range.
Anyway, as the DSP chip used on the Scope board is not recommanded for new design by analog devices, they would have some problem to produce many more Scope Board. You should then expect the XITE-1 to be the first element of a whole product familly.
I do not mean the Scope board are obsolete now, as they could still be used on "old" PC/Mac Machine providing PCI ports and should be enough for many users.

One point though is to put the stress on the DSP chip: you should not see it as an PC industry component but as an embbedded audio electronic component: lifetime for such a chip is much longer than PC processor or graphic processor. So the XITE-1 could probably be produced for the next 10 years.

The price of the XITE-1 has also to be compared to introductory price of:

- NOAH EX in 2003 (1/15th of the XITE-1 DSP power dedicated to 4-parts multi synth with some limitation) was introduced at 2 225 € / 2 225$

- The first Scope boards in 1998/1999 was:
=> Scope (i.e. the 15-DPS Scope Pro v1): 15 000 DM (round 7 500 € / 6 500 $ at that time), though I think the scope DP tool was included
=> Pulsar (i.e. 4-DSP with I/O) was introduced at 2400 DM (round 1 250 € / 1 000 $)
=> Pulsar SRB (i.e. 4-DSP without I/O and plug-in) was sold 1700 DM (round 900 € / 800 $)

Did not find the last range of Scope board intro pricing so far but should be quite similar...

Just to put things in perspective ...

CheerZ
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

Lets face it: THIS IS SIC!

Could be their new slogan
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

holay smoke that is a badly alligned photoshop mock-up :D
hubird

Post by hubird »

very badly indeed...
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

another great gimmick although being a minor thing is the headphone out at the front.

That means you can take this box, a laptop and a good set of headphones and have a complete mobile high end studio.

Whereever you go, you take it with you.

PS: I hope it gets an extended warranty. with such an investment I would feel way better if it comes with something like 4 or 5 years

I mean the old cards already seemed to be built like a tank.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

140+ dsps worth of power in a 1u rack... This is the shizzle. :D
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

here i am checking out the new formant filters, making pretty authentic plings and plongs! as you can see rom my reaction i like the sound a lot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HttF5HVYtlQ
idiso

Post by idiso »

Big Congarts,Soniccore!! :D

What i am interested in,is:
-is the new xite-1 usable alongside the "old" Hardware and
-will the sdk be available in a new version?
(or is this platform totally backwardscompatible?)
Scope forever
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Wow, I step away for a couple days, and look what i missed.
Phenomenal news! Congratulations sonic core!

-John
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... :IT&ih=006

thats definitely worth it LOL

I think Ill have a XITE-1 instead :)

i am waiting for the first $10,000 303 on ebay.
ScofieldKid

Post by ScofieldKid »

Holy Moly!

Now we're talking! Great news!
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

Cool. does anyone got a link of the back panel?
thanks
astroman

Post by astroman »

Firubbi, Frankfurt is on my schedule, but I've not decided about the day yet...
Most likely someone else will be earlier to report ;)

also congrats from my side to SonicCore - it's a well placed product imo :D
addressing those grown from the home producers, assuming the analog part is up to expectations...
the most common subset of external connectors is in place (2 guitars or guitar/bass, 2 Mics) and you can easily move the thing around.

you can have the FOH dude record a band with VDAT (via remote control software), while 2 players process their instruments with Dynatube, switching presets by midi footcontrollers (each on his own channel/instance of the plug).
Add the high quality reverb/dynamics and last but not least a couple of fine synths...
Even the keyboarder could remote control his part of the project simultaneously with the FOH position - that's just kid's stuff, done that since a decade (as mentioned numerous times about Farallon's Timbuktu Remote software)

just to picture the setup:
the Xite-1 and an Adat converter plus a regular server box in 4 units, booting into the 'band project'
2 cheapo notebooks for remote control (say keyboarder, FOH)
control software if you don't want to rely on M$
estimated price 8k Euro

saves dedicated console for FOH
an Ampeg for the bassist, VOX, Marshall, Mesa for the guitar player
carrying, stacking, Micing of gear
a 24 track record box

send main out to PA, send submixes to active monitors for stage sound via Adat converter

this is your portable studio on the road - one setup, one sound, no matter if rehearsal or in the place.
I wouldn't dare to picture something like this based on the 'classical' Scope setup, but this is really compact and powerful and it separates the processing unit from the PC box. You can have a backup PC, as you'd just need to switch one connector.

Imo it's something many users have asked for over the years, there's a lot of possibilities with this box - I just sat 5 minutes about the idea above, there may certainly be more... :D

there is definetely no future in this price tag whining over and over again
those folks don't buy anything anyway. period.
this is professional gear for an affordable price, there is a value delivered, probably more than you see at a quick glance
some understatement, please... ;) :D

cheers, Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

Astro, My Brotha'.

As usual your long overdue comments are inspiring.

I was pondering the exact same scenarios. This is the solution for live recordings as well as performance.

My 3 x cards are quite happy the way they are. Their horsepower has been sufficient for a while now, as I have added ASB's and Klangs.

So many talented players I have had to pass on working with as they lacked the gear, but sadly had the talent. This is a very easy solution for me. I already have the perfect mixers and devices, w/ the exception of DynaTubes.

As far as price goes I will be one of the members here who has the means and ways to have this pay itself off within a month of gigs. Then additional XITE-1's or whatever else is needed can be purchased. At the end of the day I see this as a money maker, the same way you do.

I am happy to hear you are going again. Bowen enjoyed your visit last year, I am sure you two have much to discuss.

I will be using Solaris and XITE-1 before summers end, and Gigastudio 4 has the mast for all things sampled.

Please if you have the time, I would appreciate your consulting upon your return.

Looking forward to your post.(s). :D

JV
astroman

Post by astroman »

thanks for your kind words, Jimmy :)
of course I had your live rig in mind when thinking about what an Xite box could do... ;)

you say it works great, and I'm shure it does, as you can have GaryB around when it's due... but what about us regular folks far away from SoCal, the Sierra and Vegas ? :D

setting up such a box the 'classical' way is a demanding task, starting at the mechanical buildup, there are lots of parts involved, there is lots of additional heat etc and you simply couldn't recover from a failure under 'live' conditions.
as I understand your setup you have a 2nd system available that can take over parts of the first one if that crashes completely.

the Xite just sorts and aligns things neatly :D
and as mentioned in the other thread it probably houses the ADSP 21362(*) with 6 times the onchip memory of the current Sharcs, so PCI bandwidth may become less of a concern, too. Great stuff...

cheers, Tom
(*) it has exactly 10 times the mflops spec of the 21065 used on current boards
dawman

Post by dawman »

Sie Sind Willkommen Mein Freund,

GaryB is my anchor 4 sure, we will doing Cubase 4 lessons later today. :D

I also am bustin' his balls tryin' to get " The Body Of Ralf " to set up an accounts recievable, as after my bills are paid I tend to spend.

We are lucky to have you continue to grace this blessed forum of ours w/ your vast experiences w/ Scope, and as an astute IT pro. :wink:

Your help when I first joined will never be forgot, trust me. You are very sick like many of us here, but no one I am aware of does so much, w/ so little. Just your example of running a Guitar throught the B2003's scanner vibrato demonstrated the depth of your focus.

I anxiously await your opinions when you return from Frankfurt.

I hope to continue our long distance consultations.

I am sure John Bowen is looking forward to seeing you again also.

Alvetazein.

JV
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

This looks like xiting news. Actually, for a while I have thought: "why don't SC make a convenient 1u unit loaded with DSP-power?". Think about it. You can make a 3u 18 track recording studio with Xite-1, a converter and a laptop mounted on a rack tray. And you've still got the AES/EBU plugs to add 2 extra channels.