New prices?

Have Scope hardware to sell or trade? NO DEALER POSTING ALLOWED.

Moderators: valis, garyb

lagoausente

New prices?

Post by lagoausente »

Well, if the new Xite-1 performance is like 140 dsp, and is 3200 euro, that mean anybody would pay less than 320 euro por a used 14 dps one.
Will see in the future...
moxi

Post by moxi »

so, as second hand gear, it will be half of 320E for a 14dsp board.

unfortunatly you can't put more than 3 14dsp boards in a PC...only 45DSP, near to be hasbeen!

then a luna will cost 10E... :D
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

stardust wrote:Why not a 14DSP for 300 Euro sounds good to me.
I wont be able to get my money back so why not going to 45 when possible for 300 Euro.
You mean 300x3?

I doubt will can get 45 for 300.
what tells Moxi would be a bargain, 150 euro for 14 dsp. Too much good.
moxi

Post by moxi »

that was for kidding,I'm thinkin the same way, I'm not sure it will be really interesting to sell old board for so less bucks, it's better to keep them beside, in another daw..
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Right, I think that Scope 3/6/14 are a sort of "immortal" hardware just like i.e. the Fairlight CMI.
Anyway all actual plugins are still wonderful.
Wih 140 DSp power U can load 10x times these plugs, but, now the quality is the same.
It will become different when SC comes with new devices that requires 20 DSp power for 6 voices!!!
Do you can imagine the sound quality of this "brute" power?! :o
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
pkole

Post by pkole »

I don't think this price talk makes any sense.
It would if sonic core announced a very low price for the 14dsp (like 500 euros eg).
If you have a 14dsp card would you sell it for 300 euros or less?
And how much would you sell a 6 dsp?
100 euros?
I don't think so.
garyb

Post by garyb »

if the new hardware works with the old, prices may rise a bit.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

And how much would you sell a 6 dsp?
100 euros?
Well, maybe, with 140 dsp, I don´t think anyone really will have much interested on having 6dsp ones. Maybe 14 dsp are another story, but I´m convinced that time will make devaluate this cards enough.
I think about two reasons,
People was waiting a lot of time for a new sharc power, and now it´s here, yes, knowbody wanted Vista, but everybody is waiting for Scope 5 Vista compatible. We are hungry.
The second is what have been comented in the annoucements thread. When new super-quality new devices come up, that require each one, the equivalent to actual 20 dsp, actual cards will be just a nuisance using pci slots that could be more useful for..., a TV card?
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

This the offert/demand relation. I would even doubt about buying a 14 dsp card. 3200 euro is much money, but maybe it´s worth the effort and waiting some time to have that money. 140dsp are much dsp, and the Expresscard option for the laptop makes it very very attractive to have such studio in a laptop. Expresscard gives a lot of bandwith, what would make performance not an issue. Too much attractive really.
You can go to a friends house, to the local, gig, where you want in just a little carrying case with all your superbig projects, and maybe some super-sounding new dsp-hungry devices.
We are humann, and hungry..., we´ll see. It´s much power and much compact.
No more desktop with such lot of cables around.. sweet, sweet, sweet.
PsySamurai

Post by PsySamurai »

Great time 4 speculation, bad time 4 business.

I already got a dead paperweight from a m-audio FW that *needs* a specific chipset (TI) to function properly. Glad it was only over 100€ (ebay).

Price payed for mobility (and failed). But there will always be other issues.
Remember the time RDIS was the ultimate WAN highway? Well look again. Anything below a E1 (2 Mbit) now is crap for home access.

Any new tech we come up with that seems to satisfy needs will just be a trend, and sooner or later just be regular until it becomes insufficient, as our demands will rise with it. So enjoy these moments of delirium, 4 their days are counted... :D
Lima

Post by Lima »

I think that we have to focus on what we'll should be able to do with few DSPs in the future. If the new devices will eat tons of dsp the usability of a 3 or 6 DSPs will be near to zero and the price will drop. Else the price will stay high.

Actually with 14 DSPs we can do lots of things. I can mix a whole song with 10 for example. 140 DSPs are now confortable only to avoid multiple loading for multiple tasks, but having few don't preclude to do anything IMHO.

Sadly the "more power->less optimization" trend is imperating in these days. Let's think about Vista: 500MB of ram eated just to start the OS...

I really hope that soniccore will work to avoid the wast of DSP power... Let's see...
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
lagoausente

Re:

Post by lagoausente »

garyb wrote:if the new hardware works with the old, prices may rise a bit.

Seems that Xite-1 and the old cards will not work on the same enviroment.
Well, from my point of view, I´m thinking about what to buy. Thomann displays 2760 incl vat for the Xite. Expresscard for notebook without the bandwith limit problem..., portability, preamps ...
In front the old DSP cards. Would you still spend 500 on a used 14 dsp card, with the old pci desktop?
I personally wouldn´t pay more the 300 for a Scope pro.
cw_swede

Re: New prices?

Post by cw_swede »

I will run my "cheap" BMW E60 520 at 110km/h (68 miles/h). I don't need an M5 which costs about 3 times more to drive 110km/h ;)

Anyone who wants to sell his Scope Pro to me for 300 can PM me.
Maybe I can afford to buy it...X-kite is too expensive for me, I'm not a pro-user, just home-musician.

PS. I do not have this BMW above, just an example...
Tau

Re:

Post by Tau »

erminardi wrote:Right, I think that Scope 3/6/14 are a sort of "immortal" hardware just like i.e. the Fairlight CMI.
No, not "immortal"... All hardware eventually fails, and I just had my newest card (built on 2004) die on me, without apparent reason or explanation. No warranty left - bye bye. And selling the software hasn't been easy, either...

The problem with used cards is that you really cannot know how long they will last. Surely, could be a long time, depending on a lot of factors, many of which are beyond any user's control... But I doubt that anyone that's going to sell one of their old boards will provide a 1-year warranty or anything of the sort. It's a risk, and people tend to forget that and still ask for a lot of money.

As for new, factory-fresh PCIs, they won't be bought by MacPro users, and newer PC boards seem to be having less PCI slots, making it harder to build a 45 DSP system - not counting on the weird placement of SATA connectors or capacitors that prevent the correct installation of the big "Pro" boards. My MoBo fits 2 15 DSP only, in 3 PCI slots - the last one can house a 6DSP, but no bigger because of the SATA connectors. I guess that, for a while, S|C will keep the prices as they are, but after a few months, it'll be a case of letting the market decide how much they are worth. And with competition from the XITE, and eventually, smaller versions of the XITE...
lagoausente

Re: Re:

Post by lagoausente »

Tau wrote:
erminardi wrote:Right, I think that Scope 3/6/14 are a sort of "immortal" hardware just like i.e. the Fairlight CMI.
No, not "immortal"... All hardware eventually fails, and I just had my newest card (built on 2004) die on me, without apparent reason or explanation. No warranty left - bye bye. And selling the software hasn't been easy, either...

The problem with used cards is that you really cannot know how long they will last. Surely, could be a long time, depending on a lot of factors, many of which are beyond any user's control... But I doubt that anyone that's going to sell one of their old boards will provide a 1-year warranty or anything of the sort. It's a risk, and people tend to forget that and still ask for a lot of money.

As for new, factory-fresh PCIs, they won't be bought by MacPro users, and newer PC boards seem to be having less PCI slots, making it harder to build a 45 DSP system - not counting on the weird placement of SATA connectors or capacitors that prevent the correct installation of the big "Pro" boards. My MoBo fits 2 15 DSP only, in 3 PCI slots - the last one can house a 6DSP, but no bigger because of the SATA connectors. I guess that, for a while, S|C will keep the prices as they are, but after a few months, it'll be a case of letting the market decide how much they are worth. And with competition from the XITE, and eventually, smaller versions of the XITE...
Seconded. I think that old cards will be discotinued. It´s not much logical. I suppose they´ll sell the stock ones and no more. It has no sense and will be no economical at all because of the old chips used 1/10 of power will not be afordable to sell it at 1/10 price.
To my thinking, pci cards will dead when Xite will born. And on the second hand market, they´ll drop the price.
lagoausente

Re: New prices?

Post by lagoausente »

cw_swede wrote:I will run my "cheap" BMW E60 520 at 110km/h (68 miles/h). I don't need an M5 which costs about 3 times more to drive 110km/h ;)

Anyone who wants to sell his Scope Pro to me for 300 can PM me.
Maybe I can afford to buy it...X-kite is too expensive for me, I'm not a pro-user, just home-musician.

PS. I do not have this BMW above, just an example...
I have never felt that my cheap car was too slow, but regarding audio processing, that´s another story. Knowing you will have to not worry about how many plugins or instruments you load, it´s not very usual. There are guys that have several linked pcs to run native soft, other have a bunch of cards..,
A cutdown version of the xite I think that will be out soon o later. But if they would be annoucing it now, there would be posible buyers for the Xite-1 that would wait for the home version. I suspect that they´ll put out the Xite-1 sometime, till the Scope fervers buy the big boy, than maybe will come out with the little one for atract other non Scope users, and for the guys that cannot afford the big one. Just my thoughts.