Is it possible to use Scope on an Intel Mac using Win XP?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

astroman

Post by astroman »

welcome Pablo :)

yes, that the most simple, most straight forward and most reliable setup...
There's a ton of office boxes in excellent shape that never really experienced any serious workload during their 'official' duty - for a few bucks on eBay.
Trash the harddisk, add a kvm-switch and consider the RME device as an improvement to your clock quality. :D

I never understood the notebook-with-a-Magma point of view.
There are industrial 'luggable' PCs with TFT screens with an even smaller footprint featuring a fully usable PCI bus.
They cost a bit more than their office counterparts, but way less than the crippled external box ;)

cheers, Tom
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

is there anything cheaper than the RME Fireface 800 that would offer the same functions as Pablo describes?
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Echo audiofire 8 is very good!
astroman

Post by astroman »

strav100 wrote:is there anything cheaper than the RME Fireface 800 that would offer the same functions as Pablo describes?
the main feature regarding linking 2 systems isn't the Firewire box - as Stardust also pointed out it's ADAT.
Any Adat Interface will do, but the Marian is actually pretty expensive compared to an RME 9652 HDSP (3 Adat ports).

The latter is only 166 Euro per port compared to the Marian's 128 Euro, but RME has an onboard DSP mixer, way better performance and comes with a re-clocking ability that (may) save you a studio clock - not to mention their unique tools to check digital signal quality and such stuff.

cheers, Tom
pablom

Post by pablom »

IMHO 16ch of ADAT as minimum and one MIDI port is a must. As Astroman pointed - RME has the best clock, drivers and tools (but there's no Digicheck in OSX).
hubird

Post by hubird »

I don't have enought already at 24 ADAT channels, as I hate it to work with mono audio in Cubase and along the line.

What's 12 ASIO channels (plus SPDIF) actually?
HDSP 9652 here, two Midi I/O ports are very welcom and flexible to have.
Auto sinc is perfect, and the Totalmixer is indeed gorgeous, especially when you do life recordings with different submixes for the musicions.

On OSX multiple ASIO client is possible, if the software supports 'channel' selection.
My beloved audio editor Peak does, i.e (Sound Out: CoreAudio).
You can even mix all multiclient asio channels to one (ADAT/SPDIF) output if you want...
Not sure about XP, but Vista will support it I guess.
The documentation is deep and perfect.

It's true, if you don't need those life recording oriented possibilities, and you don't expect sinc and samplerate related problems you can save mony.
RME however covers every situation.

If you don't have the mony now, wait a while and save some.
And the ebay value is high, in case of (btw, I got one by ebay).
moxi

Post by moxi »

i'm waiting for a price quote of this pretty thing:

http://www.zpeng.com/Articles/Products/DAImodules.html

-->that could replace fine an adat plate for up to 32 ins/outs thru firewire from scope to any other daw with firewire.
moxi

Post by moxi »

..and realize that I already get the reply this morning!

the board is 169 euros + 50E for shipping cost :)

just use the standart AL1401 and AL1402 chipset duo (from WAVEFRONT) to interface this module with your scope ADAT ports if you don't want to tweak directly your scope board

the AL1401 is quiet simple to implement, you just need to add two or three capacitor, and can be powered from the firewire bus easily. they cost only 10 dollar each (one pair for 8 ins/outs).

so with 250E, you can do a nice 32 channels ADAT-firewire interface for your mac.