help!! windows 2000 first install not happening

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

nicked

Post by nicked »

just got a new gigabyte GA7DX motherboard and AMD 1600. new HDD, new video card, hell it's a whole new pc really isn't it? so i got it all connected, flashed my bios to latest version. partitioned and formatted the HD in DOS. but when it came to installing windows 2000 i get "file not copied correctly" message. the file which it stops at varies each time. i have tried using different CDROM drive, tried removing my pulsar. ??

i'm worried that it's simply a faulty motherboard. what else could it be? it can't be the CD itself cos it's brand new and was used for a successful install on a different pc 2 days before.
at0m

Post by at0m »

Try copying everything from the install cd-rom to a (non-OS) partition. When you install from there, you could avoid cdrom issues., you know all data has been copied correctly.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

sounds like somewhere the data is not getting put on the drive properly.

could be cdrom (using your old one? not that then)

IDE cables not plugged in enough or faulty.
IDE controller sharing IRQ? (usually they are on 14 and 15 by themselves)

Bad hard drive?

try putting the cd/drive on different IDE cables. do not use "cable select" on drives.

Hard drive bigger than 64 gigs? you need to use a different fdisk from microsoft than the normal dos/win98 one.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... us;Q263044

you could put the drive in the computer you are using now and check it by copying some huge files onto it.
nicked

Post by nicked »

hmm yes, think it's a bad hard drive.

thankee kindly anyway.
nicked

Post by nicked »

actually the new hdd is fine. we tried using a different hdd, different cables. we are stuck. my friend who is helping me is very experienced in these matters (he has 8 PC's!) and says he has never encountered a problem like this. could it be a fault mobo? faulty bios? what?
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

could be the CD itself?

the motherboard COULD be the problem, what happens if you try to install a different OS like win98?

could be an IRQ thing as well. are all the cards in? maybe you ought to take them out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: defex on 2002-02-22 10:32 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: defex on 2002-02-22 10:33 ]</font>
mydaycomes

Post by mydaycomes »

Hey, I'm having this problem too...

I just re-formatted my hard drives and installed Windows XP. I'd burned all of the Pulsar files to disk before I did so, and now I'm having problems installing the software again...I'm getting an "I/O" error about halfway through...it says that it's normally caused by bad installation media.

I re-downloaded all of the files, and it's still messing up. I don't want to have to re-format, install '98, and upgrade to XP...that kind of screws up my plan of following the steps in the "Tips and Tricks" section. Oh well--I've been without music for about a week now...

If you come up with a solution, please let us know...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mydaycomes on 2002-02-23 19:50 ]</font>
mydaycomes

Post by mydaycomes »

Here's some extra added detail:

I saved all of my Pulsar 3 and 3.01 software (that I'd downloaded a few months back) to CD before I reformatted my hard drives. After installing XP and applying the update patch, I installed the Intel utilities. I copied the files from the CD to my hard drive. At some point (I can't remember when), my computer asked me which drivers to use, at which point I installed the win2k drivers from the Pulsar 3 software.

When I tried to install the Pulsar 3 software it gave me the error message about 50% through. I re-downloaded all of the files, and it failed again at 46% through. That's when I came to the forums. Since then, the only thing I've done is e-mail Creamware and update to the drivers from 3.01.
mydaycomes

Post by mydaycomes »

Oh, and one last thing--I switched my card from one PCI slot to another (I used an old slot that I know worked before). Nothing.
mydaycomes

Post by mydaycomes »

I just re-formatted my hard drive and installed Windows '98. Same exact problem...
mydaycomes

Post by mydaycomes »

I've got my system up and running. I had to reformat my hard drive, install Windows XP, install drivers from the intel website, then download and install the Creamware software directly from the website.

The problem may have been related to this: http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 59&forum=1. Maybe the CDrw's just wig out after installing XP. I've noticed that a few of my files that I've copied from CD are acting rather strangely...

good luck!

JT
nicked

Post by nicked »

check again mate- your prob is not really similar to mine. i have tried installin win 98, ME, XP, 2000, using different cd rom drives, different cables, different hdd. always same result. if no one can think of a possible solution to this freaky problem, i guess it's time to send the feckin motherboard back.
mydaycomes

Post by mydaycomes »

Whoa, there, before you do that...

I got a reply from Creamware saying that they have gotten several e-mails saying that they were having problems. He (Paul Tanti) said that he would e-mail the webmaster and have him look into it...

Have you tried downloading the files from the Creamware site, or are you strictly installing from disk? I figured out something very interesting yesterday...

I've been setting up a dual boot system for the past couple of days (XP & 98). When I went to install Pulsar 3.0 on my '98 OS, I ran into the same problem that I'd run into earlier...an error saying that there was an I/O problem and that was usually due to a corrupt file. But I noticed that it was at a different point in the installation than it was the previous times (at about 36% through...). That piqued my curiousity, so I deleted all of the files in the temporary directory that I'd expanded them into, unzipped some new ones in from the original files I'd downloaded, and...it failed again. In a different spot. But the third time, it worked...(!)

I know this all sounds like a pain in the ass, but it might be (a little) easier than getting a new mobo...

Go here to download the files (If you haven't done so already...) http://www.creamware.de/en/Download/sof ... efault.asp

Just follow the steps outlined exactly, in the order that they're given...

I hope this works for you...and I hope that I'm not insulting your intelligence...

Good luck!
nicked

Post by nicked »

look again - i am trying to install windows.
mydaycomes

Post by mydaycomes »

ohhhh...lol! sorry...I guess our problems really aren't alike...:smile:

Regardless, good luck to you...!
nicked

Post by nicked »

look at the list of hardware we checked - what hadn't we ckecked?

the RAM...

guess what it was? a bad DIMM.

so there you go.

i'm back in biznezz, finally.
at0m

Post by at0m »

nice to see you go along finally :smile: