Start Up w/ The Smallest Project

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Start Up w/ The Smallest Project

Post by dawman »

This probably doesn't matter to those who strictly use SFP to record, but to the live performance bunch, this might be of interest.

I have found a way to squeeze more DSP's together w/o that annoying " Do You Wish To Optimise " window. I have recently created a large project using Cubase 4 / Tascam GVI 3.52 / and SFP. The E6400 CPU handles Cubase 4 w/ GVI easily, and that is w/ 12 giant DVD libraries on 12 MIDI channels.

SFP has the STM1632 w/ 4 x AUX's loaded w/ FX
4 Tap Chorus on AUX #1
SSB Modulator on AUX #4
CW AutoPan on AUX #3
ECC83S Tube Filter on AUX #4

ProWave Modular on channel 1 + 2 hard panned
Minimax on channel 3 + 4 hard panned
Six String on channel 5 + 6 hard panned
Cubase 4 hosting GVI on channel 7 stereo

ProWave Modular has 8 voices and Echo 35, sf designer, and mod comb all reside in the insert rack of FX on the synth, for every preset. This avoids pop ups during the gig of FX and such.
Minimax has 8 voices and uses stock FX and the Auxillaries 1 - 4
SixString has 8 voices and uses stock FX and the Auxillaries 1 - 4

This is sent to a Samson PL24 4U Line mixer, where the hardware analog synth mixes w/ the SFP mixer outs. As well as hardware FX.

I use the pair of KS 88's to control all mixing and FX parameters, which also includes the hardware FX as the Line 6 Echo, and the Lexicon 200.

Meanwhile back @ the ranch,...This project shows 90 % in the DSP meter when loaded @ start up. I tried saving this project w/ a new name so I could restart w/ a WAV project for playing music on the break. When I re loaded my big synth project again the DSP meter showed 75 - 80% instead. Naturally I experimented by adding more polyphony to the synths, 1 voice, each synth, and it loaded. I repeated this till I hit the optimisation window, but I achieved 4 more voices, 2 on Minimax, and 2 on ProWave Modular.

I actually would rather have the extra headroom 4 some reason, besides I have everything I need on this DAW anyway. Synth DAW #2 has Solaris Modular, Prodyssey, B2003, and Modular III w/ Gigastudio 3 Orchestra w/ 12 more DVD sized instruments w/ Gigapulse Pro's mighty impulse reverbs embedded in the samples. This is my idea of redundancy @ the gig. No AB switcher 4 the same sounds, if one crashes, I can easily cover it with duplicate projects stored using similar sounds, as GVI is Giga in VST form.

My other tip was don't smoke in bed. Or as I told the stripper who was grinding down my cock @ the club last night, she asked 4 a tip while she continued her embarrassing jirations, I told her Sea Biscuit in the 7th race. It went over like a turd in a punchbowl.

HAPPY 7TH ANNIVERSARY to JOHN COOPER'S PLANETZ, AND THOSE LIKE US,

Jimmy V.

BTW, CW Autopan is controlled by the KS 88's ModWheel, soon to be replaced by Husker's Kurzweil Expressionmate's Ribbon Controller 4 that stack to stack effect when the rotary cabinet de-accelerates from fast to slow.
dawman

Post by dawman »

This is even a better way to load up big projects, while maintaining all STDM connections.

1) Take your large 90-95% project, and save it with zero polyphony on all synths. Call it start up "0" or something along those lines.

2) Save your large project calling it whatever you like, after the same STDM connections and "0" poly project are loaded, load the large project. It loads quicker, and already has made the DSP paths nescessary. It simply adds poly to the project now. Watch the meter rise on the DSP Meter, and be joyful, as this avoids pop ups, and the cards seems to love loading w/ similar windows and paths.
spacef

Post by spacef »

It reminds me of a trick for people who cannot load very big project anymore (scope 1 boards especially). If you forgot to save as Jimmy said, a trick is to rename a device that you know is in that project.
For ex, you have a synth or two: just rename the synth in windows/mac as "synth-temp.dev" or a different name than "synth.dev".

Then load the project, scope Search window will pop up telling it can find that device (because it is not found). ignore and say ok. When the project is loaded, you can load the synth(s) where they should be (and rename them with the original name).
Of course, it is better to have saved presets (otherwise, you have to remake it).

This metod is much less good than the one described by Jimmy V above, but might be helpful in some cases.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I always ran my meters @ 60-65% thinking it would create xtra stability. But in my recent weeks of all night SFP sessions, I have been pushing the 2 newest DAW's from GaryB @ 90-95%, all Type II boards. It runs only CW synths i.e. Minimax, Prodyssey, B2003, amd Pro One. This uses many FX, 4 AUX's w/ FX also, and will soon run my Line 6 Echo Pro and an analog mono synth SE-1x. I play till I pass out, leaving the DAW constantly on, and have had 2 x 60 hour sessions in the last 2 weeks. This is my PERL / Northwood 3.0 GHz running quad Raptors.

I can't thank you enough for the incredible Echo 35. This w/ the Line 6 Echo Pro doing reverse and looping is going to be sick. Your E35 is the best delay I have ever used period. I can see it now,.......................................................................
SpaceF Presents,...the " Hardware Black Box II." w/ 2 x 200MHz Sharc Tigers. I would pay whatever the price, as it has no equal hard, or soft.