Should I go WinXP??

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

lenni

Post by lenni »

Hy people,
I'm using Cubase VST 32 and Pulsar 2+ (Software 3.1), right now on Win 98SE. Any experiences w/ XP anybody? Should I make the step and drop 98? Are drivers existing for XP?
Thanks
Lenni
dblbass

Post by dblbass »

XP working well here. With Plsr 3.01, VST. Going to Logic when mail-ordered 5.0 Plat arrives!

Plsr W2K drivers seem fine so far, nextgen I expect will be very good.

XP pros & cons:

More readily and extensively tweakable than 98 family (tho decent XP DAW setup & tweaks info on net is only beginning to accumulate)

XP very stable. My 98lite setup was pretty good, but this is better. Only one BSOD in 2 mnths, and that was clearly my fault trying to simultaneously run WinMedPlyr, Pulsr wav drivers, and Sigview, a signal analysis app with clumsy realtime capability. (Sigview is a good prog, though. It's better with wav files than realtime wav.)

XP is nice look and feel, very customisable.

A few probs came up when I first went to XP, but all solved by upgrading mobo BIOS and controller card BIOSes, using downloads from vendor sites. One or two drivers which came with XP needed replacements with various vendors' stuff also. Gather all you think you'll need before installing XP.

Strongly advise HDD reformat and clean install of EVERYTHING when you go to XP. If you've got tons of Pulsar projects, someone more experienced than I can suggest how to carry these over. I rebuilt all mine from scratch. Only files I carried from old install were samples, waves, sequences, etc. And absolutely Ghost once or twice at key points of install and setup.

XP bootup and shutdown are great, real fast.

XP loads to a larger RAM footprint than a well setup 98, but you can remove a lot of un-used stuff from XP more easily than 98. Anyway, beef up RAM is good idea.

I now believe tht XP will become the most widely used (thus most widely supported) DAW OS. You'll probably go to it sooner or later, why not sooner.

My $0.02 anyway.

cheers
at0m

Post by at0m »

On 2002-01-31 20:32, dblbass wrote:
(...)
If you've got tons of Pulsar projects, someone more experienced than I can suggest how to carry these over. I rebuilt all mine from scratch. Only files I carried from old install were samples, waves, sequences, etc. And absolutely Ghost once or twice at key points of install and setup.

XP bootup and shutdown are great, real fast.

XP loads to a larger RAM footprint than a well setup 98, but you can remove a lot of un-used stuff from XP more easily than 98. Anyway, beef up RAM is good idea.

I now believe tht XP will become the most widely used (thus most widely supported) DAW OS. You'll probably go to it sooner or later, why not sooner.
(...)
-You can backup your complete Pulsar folder, and just reinstal 3.01 update without devices if you only change WinOS. If you chang ePulsar OS, you need to delete old devices from your projects, and load the newly updated ones. Screenshots can come in very handy. If you backup your 3.x preset folder from time to time, you should be fine :wink:

With MemTurbo I sometimes Scrub my memory down to 44MB used RAM, right before opening of a nasty Pulsar project. If you're a freak too.

XP sure looks to be the great new DAW OS. It hurts to say, but it's true: XP is MS greatest OS ever. Basic knowledge of some things will allow you to tweak extensively, cos everything's well detailed, and we finally have the indepth help. Previous WinOS's seemed to have 'Windoze for Dummies' manual. But everyone has to verify for himself that no major issues w drivers or compatibilities exist. If you love what you're playing on now, don't run the risk to spoil that, before checking out forums of the equipment/programs you use. Creamware seems to go nicely with XP. Some say they get slight less performance in XP. I'd say it's a very flexible and solid OS. It's up to you.
lenni

Post by lenni »

Thanks!!
Well, I guess I'll do some more research for my other stuff (Cubase etc.) and then do the change if everything sounds good.
Bye
Lenni
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I have made a small try on XP... And es, i most also admit, best MS OS ever... But at that times, I was getting somes asio overload errors... Does anybody have found out the same thing? Or maybe a solution?
Funktastico

Post by Funktastico »

XP is the best os I've used too, but I had to install ME back on the side when I added Luna 2 to the system --> only ONE midi in and out driver works now in XP. Still haven't found / heard a solution for this :sad:

Toni L.
http://www.mp3.com/Panta
kiminet

Post by kiminet »

Yes XP is working fine for me as well much more stable but as far as I can understand only 16 bits playback/record resolution is possible.Or?

Kim
Funktastico

Post by Funktastico »

Only 16 bits with wave drives for now, yes.
I guess Asio can do 24 bits?