asus k7m can you recommend it?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

helldriver

Post by helldriver »

Hey guys at planet z.
I have a aopen ak72 with via kx133 and a pulsar1 and pulsar2 on it.
I can´t work with this weak chipset anymore because i have endless troubles with it .
My question is, can i run 512mb Infinion ram or more on asus k7m without clicks, pops and crashes. Is anybody in the forum experienced with k7m. (By the way, how many reverb32 from cubase can you open till your system is overloaded)

Or would it be better to go for the new intel chipset i815 which provides the new p3 tualatins?

Every answer is welcome
Thanks
Stefan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: helldriver on 2002-01-29 07:37 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

If you're buying a new machine for use with Creamware, I would put PCI performance right up near the top of the list, which leads to the Pentium 4 machines. Check out the ASUS P4B266 or the ASUS P4TE, both Socket 478 P4. If you go that route, make sure you get a Northwood P4 with the 512k cache.

The P4B266 has slightly better PCI (12 masterverbs) than P4TE (10 masterverbs), bu the P4TE has more memory bandwidth so it will allow higher-clocked processors to flex their muscle later on. I use the P4TE and really like it, but the P4B266 wasn't out when I got my system. Now the choice would be tricky, they are both top notch.

If you want to stick with AMD, I'd still suggest the Asus A7M266 or any board with DDR, AMD761 Northbridge. But this advice may change within the week - my nForce test system arrives this wednesday so after the weekend I should have some nForce results!