What happened to 2000/XP specific tweaks?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I don't think the links are there anymore that used to be..
Anyway, I just got XP and I'm going start experimenting with it. Any advice appreciated..
I remember reading there was something I HAD to do during install so I'm kind of nervous. (I HATE reinstalling OS)
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

install in standar PC mode, it absolutly vital....
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

does anyone have a list of XP specific links?
What's hard is that some tweaks are for gerneral performance improvements, and some are audio specific.. Oh well, I might as well have it run in best "general" condition and then do audio tweaks.
at0m

Post by at0m »

On 2001-11-09 23:54, marcuspocus wrote:
install in standar PC mode, it absolutly vital....

i've been told by someone he's running
XP even with Creamware's beta drivers, XP runs ACPI mode with Pulsar.

no confirmation of that.

a t :cool: m i c.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

um, the tweaks are still here in the tips n tricks section, they are just further down on the list.

you need to press "F7" at the SCSI driver screen during install . . .
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

On 2001-11-10 00:09, atomic wrote:
Yes, but it leave you with half the track and performance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marcuspocus on 2001-11-10 08:54 ]</font>
claes

Post by claes »

do you mean that pci performance will be crap?

I run windows 2000 in acpi mode and don't have any problems except for the damn pci overflow. But I've always had problems with that damned pci overflow even on windows 98.

BTW I use a Pulsar1 on a 761 chipset (had 440BX before with similar results)
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I donno what exactly is the problem, but in acpi, i do 12 track, and crackles, pops and clicks happen very too often.

In standard, can get more than 20 (never tryed more than 24) without any strange noise.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Damn.. it's 6 in the morning and i'm finally done putting all the parts back into my case..
I'm still very caught up in the "get all my frickin' drivers" process so it's not really a "hmm, how many tracks can I siultaneously record" deal.. heck all I have installed is a browser..
Anyway, I'll let y'all know when I'm back and operating at a speakable level.
at0m

Post by at0m »

On 2001-11-10 08:53, marcuspocus wrote:
On 2001-11-10 00:09, atomic wrote:
Yes, but it leave you with half the track and performance.
Nope, he said it got HALF of the Win2k latency!!! Dunno about hd's and other periferals, but pci went like a dream...

Dream... it's 3.15am, gotta go to work (my airline came up the brilliant idea to start w charters. Sundag nite 3.15 - what other wienies go to to work at that time :sad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: atomic on 2001-11-13 12:29 ]</font>
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

sorry, but "cunt" is a really offensive word where I come from (actually, one of the most, including "nigger", "squaw", "redskin", etc). not to infringe your free speech or anything, but thought that you might not be aware. this IS an international forum . . .

:sad:
borg

Post by borg »

to atomic: do you really like your job? if yes, i wouldn't complain that much with more than 10,000 people without a job at once (for the ones who don't what we're talking about, sabena, belgium's national airline just closed the books), although working on a saturday night really sucks (but brings in lots of money, not?).
to algorhythm: there are lots of cultural differences in the world, including the use of some words. although i wouldn't use the word atomic used in his post, it doesn't seem so offensive to me (i thought it was just a popular word for female genitalea, but you place it next to words as nigger, redskin,... which seem to refer to racial issues. english is not my mother tongue, so correct me if i'm wrong).

to ken: i hope you get your system up and running soon (same goes for me), so you can make music again.
that's what we're all here for, not? :smile:

if you get me started on politics,... ok andyboy, cut the crap, just let it go :roll:
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I just got 3.01 running. This is great.. My system used to be PIII-600 on ASUS P2B with 256 RAM.. (yeah, the 3 year old flagship)
Now it's p4-2Ghz on ASUS P4T-E with 512RAM. (infinitevortex standard issue I guess)
Anyway, the Pulsar OS runs pretty nicely on XP. Still haven't installed any audio applications though. But the loading of modules is very smooth. (probably because of CPU and MB)
Stuff loads almost 3times as fast compared to my old system. Which has nothing to do with music creation really, but if just feels great to be on top of technology. On with the tests!
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

borg wrote:
to algorhythm: there are lots of cultural differences in the world, including the use of some words. although i wouldn't use the word atomic used in his post, it doesn't seem so offensive to me (i thought it was just a popular word for female genitalea, but you place it next to words as nigger, redskin,... which seem to refer to racial issues.
Well, I was taking issue with negative stereotyping generally. "nigger" and "redskin" are racial terms, of course. Where I am from, "Cunt" is used to refer to a woman in a derogatory fashion. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary (the standard Amer-English dictionary) cunt means (1) "the female pudenda [sexual aparatus]" and (2) "woman, usually used disparagingly; usually considered obscene." It is obvious that atomic wasn't talking about working with a bunch of clitorises and vaginas. He seemed to be talking about his coworkers, but by using the word "cunt" it meant to me that he was refering to them in a desparaging way; that being woman-like is bad.

Borg, It is interesting that you did not mention my squaw" example - I threw this in because it is seems to me to be both racist and sexist. Then again, I would not expect you to know this, because you are not in America. I will explain what it means for you. "Squaw" is a term used to refer to Native American women in a dergoatory way. The word comes from the Iroquois word "otsiskwa" which means female sexual parts, which was subsequently made pejorative by the French and picked up by the English during Colonialism and the subsequent genocide that went on here in America.

Sorry for being "PC" but as I said before, I am not telling anyone to stop what they say, but just to think about what they say before they say it and how others might view it. Atomic seems like a cool person and I hope that he did not mean to be derogatory to any groups of people. It seems to me that he meant that he does not like his coworkers; my point was that this could be expressed without sounding discriminatory to women.

Sorry for the long-windedness, and this is way OT, but it is not for nothing that it is said.
at0m

Post by at0m »

:oops: i'm sorry for my (to some offensive) language.
i just felt so bad, i had to get to bed and get out 2hrs later. i was tired to death and needed lots of sleep. but this pulsar kept me awake it's so inspiring i would like 48 hrs a day. :wink:

(the rest of the post is OT for most people)
On 2001-11-11 03:56, borg wrote:
to atomic: do you really like your job? if yes, i wouldn't complain that much with more than 10,000 people without a job at once (for the ones who don't what we're talking about, sabena, belgium's national airline just closed the books), although working on a saturday night really sucks (but brings in lots of money, not?)
if you get me started on politics,... ok andyboy, cut the crap, just let it go :roll:
Concerning SABENA: I've cooperated with them for over 5yrs, and have always been helped out. I feel very sorry for these people and know what they're going thru. I was on the 10.000people demonstration last friday, at the airport. I work right in the middle of all SABENA facilities and the Main Terminal.

Brussels National Airport's become a regional airport, with minor companies continuing operations, and some private jets. it's like a ghost airport now. During the day, there's about 70% of overcapacity. I hope DAT will prove that a private belgian airliner actually works.

None of the belgium carriers survived the last decade: City Bird, Sabena, Air Belgium, Constellation, TEAmco... all went down here the last 7years.
What do you think, will I profit if 5000 people having my (aviation) qualifications start calling our Human Resources to ask for a job? Don't think so.

a t :sad: m i c .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: atomic on 2001-11-13 12:57 ]</font>
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Very OT on my own thread but if the situation ain't too good for you, atomic, I hope things work out... Can't really be in a creative mood when things are hectic ya know... And it's simply cool to know we have a "flying" Pulsarian.. :smile: