Total recall

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

medusa13

Post by medusa13 »

Is there a chance to build a mixer with a function that, in case you have an external controller, by pressing a button the device sends midi controller data to the hardware controller?
For example, if I have a mixer with moving faders, I would have to save all my setings in the sequencer. Instead, I could load a project, and recall all my faders' positions with just a click on the device.

Martin
medusa13

Post by medusa13 »

Actually, I think it could be taken a litle forward.
Last night, i was playing with my Oberheim Matrix 6R. Since the interface is next to impossible, I thought of this idea: could it be possible to build devices to control outboard gear?
Since Sounddiver is only for Mac, I think it could be a big plus for Scope to incorporate some sort of preset managing/editing tool to control outboard gear.
For example, building an interface for a hardware synth module so every control could be right on screen, and being able to save patches right into Scope for further recall.
I don't konw. I thought it could be nice.

Martín
at0m

Post by at0m »

by pressing a button the device sends midi controller data to the hardware controller
That's exactly what happens when you move a fader from in SFP: the device spits out any CC# that is assigned to the fader. The same would be done by selecting a preset that moves the fader. Or multiple :smile:

If there's some stuff that is hidden in your hardware and that you'd like to control from SFP, you could load a bunch of Flexor v1.5's Multi-Val's in a patch. Each fader can be named and assigned to a MIDI CC#. Then connect the patch MIDI Out to the device you want to control - no connections inside the patch have to be made.

Save different fader positions in Modular presets. Select preset, and your device will be updated. If you want to be absolutely sure each fader is sent with each preset, you could try the L/R arrows on your keyboard for tiny random adjustments on the faders. This will rarely be noticeable, MIDI reduces the value to 7bit anyways.

Think a bit further and you're putting note C6 on retrigger of a fading LFO, or using sequencers, envelope follower and other modules to add extra realtime options to your gear. Any modulation value can be input to the Val which will make it output it's CC#.

Also j9k made interesting stuff, like t_k x5, a module that has 5 inputs and knobs that can transmit the CC#.

Outside modular, Celmo also made a device that can be usefull. Check out his MIDI Remote.

This SFP method only works for MIDI CC#, SFP doesn't do System Exclusive like Sounddiver, neither do SFP devices transmit bank or program selects. Still loads of fun me thinks :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: at0m|c on 2004-11-21 22:13 ]</font>
medusa13

Post by medusa13 »

Thanks at0m|c.
What I actually thought was a device that could either function as a control surface, as well as store your presets and send them to the module.
I'm aware of the capabilities that Scope has in terms of midi contorl. I just wanted it to be more like sounddiver.
I didn't konw about the sysex limitations. Though I actually I think that it could be done. It's just that nobody made it yet.
And thanks for reminding me of all those devices that I had forgoten of. I guess they'll make my life a litle easier after all. :smile:

Martín
Hujib

Post by Hujib »

A simple button on the mixer that fired out the current value for each fader would be great - 1 click instant recall for any moving fader controller. Though, it'd be nice to have real integration down the road.. more then 128 steps please :grin:
medusa13

Post by medusa13 »

That's exactly what I meant.
Sorry if I couldn't express myself. :smile:
Thanks
Hujib

Post by Hujib »

I have yet to try it with a hardware controller.. but using the MIDI Monitor plug it looks as though when you select a new preset in the STM 1632 it does fire out the current value for each parameter. Does anyone know if this will work with motorized faders/knobs?

I'm going to give it a shot this weekend...