free scope NDA DP for non profit [cw guys?]

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Since i have a few ideas now for new devices and want to start creating again I am wondering how this is going to work NDA(free)DP VS
people who spent $$$ on DP,

Can freeNDA DP users release free devices? or are they strictly for personal use.

If so will free devices be "open" so others can change them or at least as an option to the creator.

what happens if someone uses Free DP to create work which they give a payed DP owner to release commercially.
(for example say there is a "group" of free DP creaters and one person in the group who payed. can the devices be released through the payed creator)

will payed DP owners be relegated to the same status as the people who got it for free? in which case a refund or some kind of creamware store credit may be in order.
Especially for ones who did not actually make any money and just provided free devices anyways.

I think it will be great to have more people creating stuff. no matter what way this turns out i am sure it will be a great refresh for new devices and interest in the platform.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neutron on 2004-03-31 23:05 ]</font>
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

I surely hope, that paying DP owners will all get the copy protection. What happened to Echo is truly sad - this should never be possible to happen in the SFP world.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

By the way Neutron. It would be great to see you back as a developer. I am not much of a synth player, so I rarely used any of your devices. I have them though, and it is obvious, that they are of very high standard.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

nope, i have heard nothing from creamware. i believe my DP licence is worth nothing now and i will sell my scope and pulsar and plugins pack on ebay. and take a huge loss of thousands because my DP licence is worthless now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neutron on 2004-10-03 03:33 ]</font>
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

I don't think it is worthless. If you want to do free devices, it is as good as anytime. If you want to do commercial devices, it is the only way. I believe many people will still prefer the ease of buying something solid from a well estimated developer over fiddling with time consuming coding themselves. And still many people do not have access to SDK due to smaller DSP cards. But as high quality SDK freebies (maybe) starts to show up more steadily, the option of actually selling stuff will likely drop. Maybe there are differences between DP and SDK, which I do not know of. My guess would be, that you could even run both on the same card, if you wanted to.

Post by Guest »

there got to be something differnet between Scope DP ($$$$) and the Free SDK being offered.
What? no one here would know and the best answer would really have to come from the head office in Germany.

email the head office regarding this matter regarding the difference between the two.
astroman

Post by astroman »

the difference is the license
the restrictions on the free SDK are significant, unless you really just do it for fun, but it's only in the small print - not in technical capabilities.

Neutron's question could as well be formulated different:
what is my old licence worth now that the original licensor doesn't even exist anymore ?
is the new CWA a follow-up of the old CW in that context, or is that stuff orphaned ?

questions for the lawyers, imho :roll:

cheers, Tom
Nikko

Post by Nikko »

I think that licenses are no-transferable items, so if you sell you DP software, the license will no be valid for the one who will purchase your hardware!

The only alternative is now the new NDA. With this NDA you can't sell anything.

Creamware wants you to work and spend time on their tech and give everything for nothing.

Someway it is like becoming slaves to Creamware. Working ofr nothing, what a great concept!
astroman

Post by astroman »

the NDA is nothing but a tool for control.
It's not even worth the paper it's signed on - any 'free SDK' developer will be amazed how fast he or she can get into full-blown business with CWA once the stuff exceeds a certain level... :wink:

BUT - it's CWA who decides, and only CWA - like it or hate it. It's the true 'price' that (almost) each and everyone can fiddle around with that tool - acceptable imho, since it's finally depending on your negotiation abilities :wink:

cheers, tom
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

No one is forcing you =P.

You clearly don't have to give out your devices either.