Native-Instruments 4Control unit

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Has anybody of you worked with (or just tested) it with a combination: Mac/Pulsar yet?
bosone

Post by bosone »

in my opinion, the 4 control is useless.... what can you do with ONLY 4 knobs?!?!?!?
moreover, the price is TOO high!!

if you are good in electronics (i.e. you can solder) take a look at
http://www.ucapps.de
and try to build your own 16 knob controller for only (about) 100€!
llamativo

Post by llamativo »

What can you do with 4 knobs? A lot with a very well-thought out and integrated interface to the software that would be controlled. There might be a bit of a learning curve, but great efficiencies to be realized.

I am very interested in 4Control, but have yet to hear who has used it yet. I also like the fact that it uses potentiometers that trasmit +/- values and have no rotational limits. Aparantly, these are significantly more expensive (I think 3 to 5 times more) and contribute to it's high cost.

I'm sure it rocks with Reaktor, but I'm sure the ability to integrate seamlessly to abitrary software systems is there. What is needed is a more advanced and industry-standard software control interface that will allow tight integration between controller and software. Then you could program/select any screen control (or group of controls) on the screen and control it with a press of a button combination and rotating the 4Control knob.

This thing has potential, but the computer music industry is slacking on the standardization of a hardware controller to software interface. Midi CC#'s won't cut it.

l.
sinix

Post by sinix »

I have the 4Control. It's been extremely useful! I comes with a little control app that let's you assign the knobs & buttons to any CC number. There are also other apps and ways of converting CC to NRPN values, so if you use your head, it's not much of a problem.

I've used the 4control in Reaktor and with numerous plugins/synths within VST.

I've since been my synths to do these functions and haven't used the 4control in a couple months.

Mine is in mint contidion, box, manuals, disks, etc. I'd be willing to sell it to anyone in the US for $50 plus $10 UPS shipping.

Private email me if interested.
sl1200mk2@hotmail.com

- sinix
claes

Post by claes »

It would be sweet if a couple of potentiometers would be built-in in computer keyboards.. Having four of them extending the left side of the keyboard seems like a good idea. :smile:

This could be very handy for other software than audio, graphics is something that comes to mind..
sinix

Post by sinix »

if you are good in electronics (i.e. you can solder) take a look at
http://www.ucapps.de
and try to build your own 16 knob controller for only (about) 100€!
Building the box is easy... writing the app that converts incomming values to any assigned CC # is the tough part. Anyone know C++ ?
Micha

Post by Micha »

Hi sinix,
the firmware to download from the page does this. So you only have to build the box and flash the program.
Happy pulsaring
Micha