Modal Cobalt 8M, sorry..I meant Novation Peak.

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: Modal Cobalt 8M, sorry..I meant Novation Peak.

Post by dawman »

I believe the x64 versions fail because they can’t really address the limitless memory allowances of 64 bit OSs.
For example. Tape Delay works until you load 2 of them.

x64 VDAT might work for a track or two as Astro says, but freeze or crash on 8 tracks at once.
I will check this out tomorrow as I’m set up again at home.

I only have one rig now.

I sold just about everything to trim down. Besides the value was still 60% of retail but heading south.
dante

Post by dante »

With your experience buying and selling hardware, I believe you could do well starting your own hi tech music shop w/ Garyb tinkering around in the back room chaining XITEs w/ the XTDM ports. Only then will you graduate to the ultimate daw driven live rig. :lol: :lol:
astroman

Post by astroman »

Tracked down the VDATx64 bug:
everything works nice and easy with an 8-track VDAT... and obviously with 16 tracks, too.
But as soon as any VDAT line beyond 8 is connected to any other device, you cannot save the project any more.
Error message:
The Module cannot be saved because you made some illegal operations in the referenced modules.
Please save your device or reference module first and try again.
Followed by a 2nd box: Cannot save, PrepareStoring failed.

I checked with the EDS-16 drummy by tapping each pad one after the other a couple of times.
Recorded 16 tracks and they played back as ugly as entered :D

Saving a project with a 16 track VDAT is possible if no lines beyond 8 are connected, but it will load a 16 track VDAT without the additional channels. It says 2 Adats on screen and you can switch between them, but it keeps the 8 channel skin.
Clear (in VDAT settings) plus load of a 16 track tape will crash Scope.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

astroman wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:54 pm Tracked down the VDATx64 bug:
everything works nice and easy with an 8-track VDAT...
So ... you say it´s evident a single VDAT device (8 tracks tape) can be used for record and playback "backing tracks" in any normally loadable SCOPE project and together w/ SCOPE STM, aux-fx (rack), synths, ASIO I/O (p.ex. 4 channels for VST instruments) and all the other I/O configurations,- analog I/O, AES/EBU, ADAT I/O, Z-Link I/O and MIDI ?
XITE-1, SCOPE 7 x84 latest build, Win7 Pro SP1.

YES ???

Would be great for me since I´d be able copying 8-track tapes from my Fostex R8 reel-to-reel MTR over to SCOPE when using XITE-1.

I guess SCOPE PCI 32Bit and VDAT is no problem, Win7 SP1.
Or are there issues too when using SCOPE v7.0 x86 ?

:)

Bud
astroman

Post by astroman »

To be precise:
I was puzzled about Gary‘s statement „no VDAT in Win64“... because he usually knows this stuff better than me.
So I started a systematic test (as written above).
I did not experience any VDAT performance issues, but got a „save project failure“ in case there was more than 1 Adat.
With 8 tracks the device just operated like the regular 32bit version - so I‘m confident you can use it in your scenaria.

On the other hand it‘s only a minor advantage compared to any recording app that captures 8 channels from the Adat socket.
(you have to start playback on the Fostex and trim track start (after capture) manually anyway.

With a physical Adat (plus Syncplate and Sync Cable) the VRC 128 can control both the mechanical drive and the receiving VDAT, delivering trimmed files identical to what was stored on tape.
Again for a straight record this is minor, too - it only shines when Adat Song Data is performed for several units, or rather it‘s a must-have in such cases.

Imho the strongest aspect of VDAT is it‘s pre-creation of tape storage, so allocation at write-time is avoided.
This leads to stellar performance even on lame hardware.
As mentioned (a couple of years back) I recorded 32 tracks to a notebook HD without a glitch - on a Foxconn Atom board.
(I used a single source and it‘s inversion, so the whole mix would cancel out - or any error be visible at 1st glance)