Wooden racks

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Wooden racks

Post by dante »

I'm really liking the idea of these wooden racks. Anyone used anything like this - any recommendations ? I dont think they're good for live as might get beaten up, but for static studio use....

wooden rack
wooden rack
19-inch-wood-rack.jpg (94.32 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
garyb

Re: Wooden racks

Post by garyb »

most big studio racks are wood. it's nice.
the best ones have wooden rails to avoid chassis ground loops.
big studios have bespoke furniture.
valis

Post by valis »

I have a wooden rack like that, which i use for some studio amps. Works fine, but I wouldn't put my hotter rack gear in one that small.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I had a couple of built many years ago. They are not as nice as the one pictured. Mine were simple lacquered pine. Very strong. They still look new! Two hold 8 1Us. One holds 12. That one is still in use. Most of the equipment is gone as they were rack synths. It was great. Stackable. Put a mini-lite on each and a sliding tray on the bottom. I might consolidate what's left in my rolling rack to one of these someday. but the spaghetti is a nightmare.

They were custom built so many years ago at a good price but I can't recall who did them!
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
dante

Post by dante »

Also, is it just me - or these crappy springy clips - in restricted space - keep loosing their position or get stuck or thread rips. Id like to have fixed mount wingnuts or whatever...
springy-clip-thingies
springy-clip-thingies
Rack-Accessories-springy-clips.jpg (38.85 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

those are good.
if they strip, just replace them.
valis

Post by valis »

I actually use wing nuts and threaded rack rails in the small wooden rack.
dante

Post by dante »

valis wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:20 pm I actually use wing nuts and threaded rack rails in the small wooden rack.
Can you post pic ?
valis

Post by valis »

I'd post a pic but I don't think it would help, as I have covered the screw-thread sides that poke out towards me with rubber end/covers to keep my youngest (now 4) from poking their eye out. They all seem to love to play with the buttons before they can even really walk :)

tl;dnr:

The rack I have had awful screws so I looked up the thread note for 19" audio racks and searched for part numbers. Found a few vendors like raxxess that made sense, so found options on ebay & amazon and put in orders for a few bags of different screw types. The ones I stuck with are:

Raxxess PTSW25 Rack Screws with Washers (Pack of 25)

Gator Cases 10/32x3/4-Inch Rack Screws (Black, 25 Pack)

The rack itself is a cheap affair, with a crosspole in the back and 2 L-shaped sides that are bent machine shop style below where the screw holes are. Due to the L-shape, most of my gear has to be mounted behind the front portions, which means that the screws are actually mounted in reverse. Screwed in to the 'back' of the L bracket and poking out the front. Since I have young children, I had to take to covering the exposed screw thread portions with rubber end stops like these:

Jocon Safety SF9000 PVC Flexible Round End Caps Shelf Organizer Tip Caps Wire Thread Protector Cover (inner diameter 6mm)

So a pic would only show how awful this really is. Pretty far from a bespoke all-wood rack under a $120k console :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

the best quality server racks use clips, even expensive ones from 40 years ago. if you have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gear in the racks, you don't want to remove it all to replace a stripped out rack rail. it's better to just replace the clip.
valis

Post by valis »

I would concur with that.
dawman

Post by dawman »

dante wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:38 pm Also, is it just me - or these crappy springy clips - in restricted space - keep loosing their position or get stuck or thread rips. Id like to have fixed mount wingnuts or whatever...

Rack-Accessories-springy-clips.jpg
Those are the SKB parts. Work great until you start changing and re arranging.
I use plastic washers and screws because ground loops are very common where dimmer packs are running and lights in general.

I advise using Honduran Mahagony, but regulations might make getting it difficult.
For light weight and a really good grain you can color yourself, Pine Wood is good for studio use.
dante

Post by dante »

Yes its the changing and re-arranging thats the challenge. Anyways good info here thanks all will see whats available locally.