New DAW - system bits - FULLY OPERATIONAL BATTLEDAW

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: New DAW - system bits - FULLY OPERATIONAL BATTLEDAW

Post by garyb »

good masterverb numbers tell the whole story.
dante

Post by dante »

For PCI performance maybe. But in a use case like my previous system its largely irrelevant for practical purposes. eg when I used the PCI cards in same system as XITE - I would use PCI Synths then the output from those routed via PS/DIF to XITE.

In this use case Masterverb test would be irrelevant since there's no ASIO audio data streaming via the PCI bus. Its all going via SP/DIF to XITE which doesn't use PCI either.

Jez use case may be similar except his using ADAT rather than SP/DIF.

In a system like this the only PCI data (other than initial device / project load) might be Midi Input from sequencer to PCI synths.
garyb

Post by garyb »

he mentioned PCI performance, and i said that since all motherboards since socket 1155 have provided good masterverb tests, that PCI performance in newer motherboards is sufficient. people may or may not use their systems in a way where it would matter, but PCI performance is not an issue.
Jez

Post by Jez »

Dante, yes same case, really nice find - thanks!

Running 44.1khz at the mo, 48 causes all sorts of pops and scrapes with the ADAT between XITE master and Scope slave, not tried 96.

Generally pretty happy with how quiet it is - the whining backlight powersupply on my Roland A-80 (1989) is now the louded thing!
Using the fans that came with the case - the front one was quite noisy on standard fan speed settings, but I've lowered it and it's OK but not what you would call silent. Did you stay with the supplied fan (a BeCool one)?

Re PCI performance in my specific case, I think Dante is right that my PCI requirements are not that high since I am using the scope boards just to run my old faves (Wavelength Sparc, D-Tune, ProWave and JB ProOne) via ADAT into the Xite, so Xite handles all ASIO and effects, Scope boards just have the sequencer midi in/out, synths, basic mixer, ADAT in for sync and out from mixer.

Re PCI performance in general, will do the masterverb tests though so others can see the performance of this combo
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Jez wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:24 am
Re PCI performance in general, will do the masterverb tests though so others can see the performance of this combo
Excellent !
It might detect the better one of the 2 PCI slots,- which at least is interesting when operating a single SCOPE PCI card only (and together w/ XITE).

thx in advance

:)

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

48k should not mean dropouts compared to 44.1k.

PCI performance should not matter to the Scope cards in your setup, as you surmise.
why don't you run those synths in the XITE?

verbs would be one of the only reasons that PCI performance might matter. actually the reverbs use more PCI resources than ASIO does.
Jez

Post by Jez »

Masterverb test with both boards at 44.1, got to 11, PCI error on the 12th

Garyb I was running pretty much those synths on the Scope cards before I got XIte, so I figured I'd keep them on there, on the XITE I run mixing/effects, ScopeSync CMS1, Profit5, Minimax, Vocodizer, Prodyssey CV, Prisma leaving space for one or two bc/mod4 patches. I know I know no-one needs all those running at once but it's the closest thing to having a studio with everything plugged in and to hand... And I can dial polyphony to 0 to make space without losing routing, which smooths the workflow.
garyb

Post by garyb »

whatever works is good!
dante

Post by dante »

Jez wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:24 am Dante, yes same case, really nice find - thanks!

Running 44.1khz at the mo, 48 causes all sorts of pops and scrapes with the ADAT between XITE master and Scope slave, not tried 96.
11 Masterverbs is good - I think I got around 8 - 11. But then again I didnt get much more on Xite (which doesnt use PCI) so the limitation on Masterverbs for me was likely not PCI bandwidth.

Can you also try SP/DIF. I know it only allows 2 channels compared to 8, but I used to run 2 mono synths (eg proTone and MiniMax) through SPDIF from PCI to Xite and that was far more stable than ADAT SMUX @96Khz. You could try compressed air on your ADAT ports, that can help.

But SP/DIF rock solid - my preferred link tech any day - at least until I ever invest in Dante
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:40 pm ... until I ever invest in Dante
:lol: :lol:

weasel words ...

(just kiddin´)

:)

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Only cuz Scope doesn't support Dante :lol:
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:03 pm Yes, looks great,- and also for me, it might become interesting combining SCOPE XITE and 1 SCOPE PCI (15DSP = Power Pulsar ?) inside the same machine too.
Nonetheless I´m a bit sceptical about true bandwidth via PCI slots.
Bandwidth for what ? If you pipe the output of the PCI cards running Scope synths via ADAT or SPDIF to the XITE-1 you don't need any more bandwidth other than initial project device loading and MIDI on the PCI.
dante

Post by dante »

UPDATE - I've now reconfigured my Rack around the Apollo I/O (All sound sources now available via UAD Console), including reconscripting my Digitech ValveFX and using the ZOOM as a windows soundcard for things like YouTube, plugin shop Soundcloud demos etc. Guitar and MIC able to use Unison slots for impedance matching etc.
Battle DAW Update
Battle DAW Update
battle daw update.jpg (215.69 KiB) Viewed 1436 times