wow, check out this midi timing!

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

PlanetZaxxon

wow, check out this midi timing!

Post by PlanetZaxxon »

So I have been testing V7 with my current XP machine, and decided to see how the midi timing is.

My main PC that I use for recording/writing and what not is a modern PC with WIN10 etc, and Im running an RME MULTIFACE II. I just got into scope and all that so I have that running on a separate XP machine. I was curious to see how the timing was, meaning sending midi note data out of my main PC from FL STUDIO, out of the RME MIDI OUT, into a PULSAR 1, playing a synth (in this test POISONFM) and then simultaneously recording it back into the main PC into FL STUDIO. It's pretty much dead-on, so I am very happy with that.

other settings to mention, I am running the RME at 128 buffer size, with I believe is 3 MS?

miditiming.jpg
miditiming.jpg (57.83 KiB) Viewed 3175 times
dawman

Re: wow, check out this midi timing!

Post by dawman »

I use Scope XITE-1 live and send MIDI out of the XITE-1 into an HX-3 Organ Module and a Novation Peak synth.
Really good MIDI stability. Instead of direct from my controller I use Scope MIDI Devices to change drawbars of a virtual Hammond B3, a trick I can’t do from my controller or the PC.

So if you like the timing you’ll love the MIDI devices made by 3rd party developers here.
These are custom, not stock. Very useful platform.
PlanetZaxxon

Post by PlanetZaxxon »

oh yea? Nice! Will have to look into that.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here's the exact device I use.
It allows Curve modifiers that set exact placement/amount, and the lag processor allows rate of assigment or speed of it's destinations/targets.

This is for drawbars on a Hammond B3 module.
Instead of using hands to swell/collapse the drawbars, I use a single FC7 Expression pedal to send 6 different CC's.
Each drawbar can be set exactly as needed.
I dont need to ride the pedal with my foot.
I push forward and backward, the device does the rest.

[/attachment]
1.jpg
1.jpg (116.55 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (201.64 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Midi timing... I miss my Atari 1040 STe and Alesis MMT-8. OTOH, integrating CV control with Expert Sleepers hardware and Mehdi's (SpaceF) devices I am attaining very precise timing that makes my inner Swiss precision obsessive very happy. I could go on at length, and often do, but I'll just leave it at that.
No, wait, another plug for SpaceF: He actually does some intense and demanding musical work, so his devices have some features, like that lag control above, that solve very obscure problems for some of us. The CC controllers are so amazing, and he just gives them away for free. Just wait until you use Kron and Aquarius.
valis

Post by valis »

I still need to show my support for SpaceF, think I'll do that this week when I get a client check.
Xite Knight v2.0

Post by Xite Knight v2.0 »

Peter Drake wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:46 pm Midi timing... I miss my Atari 1040 STe and Alesis MMT-8. OTOH, integrating CV control with Expert Sleepers hardware and Mehdi's (SpaceF) devices I am attaining very precise timing that makes my inner Swiss precision obsessive very happy........ Just wait until you use Kron and Aquarius.
I don’t know how KrOn, slaved to midi clock from my MPC-4000, can achieve close to sample accurate timing - but it seems so