Changing CPU / product registration question

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Farmerbrown

Changing CPU / product registration question

Post by Farmerbrown »

Hey, I have a potentially dumb question. Good thing I'm not easily embarrassed. Does changing the CPU cause any problems with product key registration for Xite (or Waves, ilok, Cubase e-licenser etc) ? I am guessing it's the mobo that carries the crucial identifier but I'm really quite ignorant and want to verify.

Thanks.
valis

Re: Changing CPU / product registration question

Post by valis »

The DSP board (or Xite unit) should carry the identifier *that is tied to your keys* (and I believe used to generate them, so they are board specific).

Nothing is system specific, aside from knowing what version of Windows you're on and what legacy / 3rd party devices do or don't work there (ie, 64bit).
garyb

Post by garyb »

native products MIGHT care, but Scope does not.
Farmerbrown

Post by Farmerbrown »

Okay, thank you both.

I'm just looking for the smoothest path forward from an i5 to and i7 (posted about here elsewhere) that doesn't involve re installing plug in s. I still get occasional clicks from Cubase despite a year of different tweaks. I suspect the video card (an old GTX 580) which has a replacement (Asus GTX1060) but while I'm at it (and since I have it) I'll replace the CPU. If it's the H87 mobo then I'm in for a bigger job than I can handle right now...
valis

Post by valis »

The biggest issue with the 580 is that it's old, so it won't be attended to in any particular way by Nvidia's current branches. The people at guru3d.com & notebookcheck.net spend a lot of time vetting Nvidia drivers and there are frequent discussions about PCI Latency spikes there and which drivers work best. For the machines I care about, I lock driver version & OS as much as possible, though this is now increasingly difficult in the Win10 era. (There are still advantages to the older OSes eh?)

Point being, as I can't comment on every GPU & motherboard combination I might suggest that you check the guru3d forums here and make them a part of your reading regimen until you have things dialed in to your liking. Keep an eye out for those notebookcheck drivers too, they're usually hand modded by the community to resolve particular issues including Latency spikes.

Lastly, when it comes to 'occasional clicks', the issue here is that you have background tasks that may run infrequently. So infrequently, that it can be hard to peg down a very intermittent issue. I suggest keeping Process Hacker memory resident (running in tasktray) to keep an eye on things, but don't have it replace your task manager as imho it works better alongside.
Farmerbrown

Post by Farmerbrown »

Process Hacker may not be necessary. I changed the GPU last week. Initially there was a small improvement but still the odd click. Then I installed the Asus TweakII GPU software "for gaming" which has a tab to disable all Win10 background processes. I thought I had done this manually but obviously not. This has made all the difference and I haven't had one click since. It's working so much better that I may not even install the new i7 CPU. Project with 100s of tracks and plugins are running without a hitch.
valis

Post by valis »

Glad to hear it.