Sonic Core A16 Ultra broken?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Joey

Sonic Core A16 Ultra broken?

Post by Joey »

I bought a SonicCore 16 Ultra a few months ago (through this forum). I haven't been too happy with it, as it's a bit hummy, but it worked ok.
But then the power supply died, so I ordered a new one at FerroFish. That worked, but the connector does not fit properly.
Anyway, yesterday I switched from 44.1 to 88.2 for a project, and since that action the A16 gives me lots of distortion on the outputs.
I am using one adat in (A) and 8 analog outs. The system is clocked through wordclock.
I have two theories:
1. it is broken
2. there's a sync problem.

I tried a lot of things, including powering up with one button pressed (either the samplerate button, or the sync button). That gives interesting results, and anyone who can tell me what's the use of this, please do. But it didn't help in the distortion problem, unfortunately.

Oh, of course I make sure the whole system is at the same clock rate. The master clock is a Benchmark ADC, and there's a Steinberg UR824 that's slaved to that, just as the A16 is.

BTW so it's a soniccore A16 Ultra, not a Ferrofish one.
Bud Weiser

Re: Sonic Core A16 Ultra broken?

Post by Bud Weiser »

Joey wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:23 pm I switched from 44.1 to 88.2 for a project, ... I am using one adat in (A) and 8 analog outs. The system is clocked through wordclock.
You´re aware you can only use 4 channels ADAT @88KHz that way ?
SMUX !
Did you double check your channel routing ?

:)

Bud
Joey

Post by Joey »

I contacted Ferrofish, turns out the PSU wasn't compatible. So they advised me another one, let's see if that fixes it.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Joey wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:28 pm I contacted Ferrofish, turns out the PSU wasn't compatible. So they advised me another one, let's see if that fixes it.
Which ?
i´m interested in more modern and small line-lumps for my 2 Creamware- and Sonic Core (blackface) - A16U.
I know they have to output 12V AC / 1.5A,- but seem to be hard to find.
The ext. PSUs I actually use match tech specs, but are too heavy and too clunky to be used in small racks.
I guess, when AC goes in, they just only are a transformer.

:)

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

I liked the rack distributor that came up in another thread. Barring that, there are PSU's available with bare wire connections as project PSU's. Trick there would be finding a unit stable under load within good tolerances.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Here's the PSU Ferrofish advised me:
https://www.ebay.nl/itm/2A-2000MA-12V-2 ... SwgMxdJFd2
I'll have to use an adaptor for the socket, but that won't be a problem, I guess.

big thumbs up for Ferrofish, btw. They will even refund the PSU that's not working.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Love Ferrofish.
Juergen takes A16s in for repairs last time I spoke with him.