New DAW with old Scope SP card - or not?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Spielraum

Re: New DAW with old Scope SP card - or not?

Post by Spielraum »

spoimala wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:29 pm ...Don't want to need to fill my room with computers :) And jump between two machines. ...
and what do you think of system boot management with adjusted settings for each system on one computer?

and check this:
https://www.exsys.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=11
>EX1031,...Sie ist speziell auch für DSP (Digital Sound Prozessor) basierte Audiokarten geeignet.
It is also particularly suitable for DSP (digital sound processor) based audio cards.
i am happy with it
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

I started out with a single machine with scope, daw, midi-sequencer.
Today I use 3 PCs for scope, DAW and sequencer.
The main advantage is the decoupling of software-dependencies. Especially the DAW can suck after an update.

I also own the magma pci-expansions. The pci-cards of scope work flawless in them, although I currently don't use them.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
valis

Post by valis »

I agree with nebelfuerst.

In my case, we would have to go back in time somewhat. In the NT4 era, I used to do was boot to parallel installations of Windows that had different configurations entirely. Different driver stacks loaded ("plug'n'play" was so novel then that a lot of hardware wouldn't load drivers without manual intervention--including setting IRQ's and memory mapped resources), different OS level tuning, different software installs. This would allow me to boot into a "3D Modeling" environment that used a completely different graphics card that was useless for any other tasks, but even things like Winamp suffered issues with the multi-processing HAL in that era. Programmers weren't used to scheduling things with a timestamp so audio playback from Winamp--not to mention our 'pro' audio software--would arrive at the soundcard's output all mixed up! This was an issue regardless of hardware or software, and this was BEFORE the Scope era even. So I had to run another installation accessible from boot menu where I had the uniprocessor HAL (and thus lost my second Processor). That lasted from about 1996 (Pentium Pro era, on a Serverworks chipset) up through the P3 era (Asus & Supermicro duallie boards) and just about to the point where I built my first Scope machine (a Dual Xeon Prestonia era machine that still runs Scope today!). Scope fixed most of the issues in v3 that had anything to do with multiprocessor HAL on WinXP, and as of 3.01c everything but the WAV driver was stable.

Fast forward to today, and it would be a doddle to even run my OSX software on a "PC" by setting up a partition to be 'hackintosh', and then linux on another and so on. However I am like the above poster in that I have 5 Macs here, 5 Windows machines, 3 linux boxen (not including this webserver) and still run an AppleTV & Plex install on a Raspberry Pi to keep my media consumption away from my productivity machines. Oh, and my 2001 era dual Xeon still runs Scope great even in the Scope 7 era. I am considering upgrading that someday soon though as the hardware is nearing 20 years of age and will get increasingly more difficult to solve failures as there's no availability of parts for that board anymore.