PCI Latency Timer setting?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

@plonter

PCI Latency Timer setting?

Post by @plonter »

Hello

My Scope 7 setup is 3 PCI cards on Asus tuf h310 plus gaming, everything is ok at 44.100 and 256 buffer size and rocking 12 masterverb in an empty project.

I was searching in bios the "PCI Latency Timer" setting and there is no user option to set it up, so reached Asus support and the say I quote.

"Thank you for your patience.
After we looked into the matter, we can only change the value of the PCI Latency Timer at the background, but we cannot release this setting to you.
Please reply which PCI Latency Timer setting did you want to change, the “PCI Latency Timer setting” or “PCI-X Latency Timer setting”.
And please reply which value do you need.
All the items have been listed as below."

It seems that they can change it for me and the default value of the timer is 32-bit clocks,
D.png
D.png (4.72 KiB) Viewed 12256 times
I ask them to change it for me to 64-bit clock.

Modifiable Value of PCI Latency Timer
m.png
m.png (12.69 KiB) Viewed 12256 times
My question is can I benefit from this change?
Or should I ask Asus a different value?

Best,
astroman

Re: PCI Latency Timer setting?

Post by astroman »

iirc PCI latency timer defines the maximum amount of clock cycles that a card can claim the bus for itself and lock out other cards. Default values are usually ok and it's not even relevant if you fill all your PCI slots with Scope cards.
(in contrary to running a PCI Raid controller on the same bus, for example)
garyb

Post by garyb »

probably not worth worrying about.
in the early days, it really mattered....
at0m

Post by at0m »

@plonter wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:29 pm [...]
My question is can I benefit from this change?
[...]
Doesn't hurt to try. If I remember correctly, back in the day some other card on the bus (my matrox g450?) would override this setting. Nowadays with EFI/UEFI, the OS seems to have taken over BIOS settings anyway.

But hey, it's free to try, doesn't break hardware and may change some things for better or worse. I'm sure you'll let us know :p
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
@plonter

Post by @plonter »

Hi

Finally i received the modified BIOS from Asus, i see no different, still 11 Master Vereb and Pci Limit.

I'm attaching the modified BIOS maybe it can help.

I'm wondering if it is to make a change what would it be.....

TUF-H310-PLUS-GAMING-ASUS-2416-190712.7z
(7.16 MiB) Downloaded 228 times
Best,
k500zm

Post by k500zm »

@plonter wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:09 am Hi

Finally i received the modified BIOS from Asus, i see no different, still 11 Master Vereb and Pci Limit.

I'm attaching the modified BIOS maybe it can help.

I'm wondering if it is to make a change what would it be.....

TUF-H310-PLUS-GAMING-ASUS-2416-190712.7z

Best,
Hey Plonter - Would you recommend this Board for 3 Cards ? Is it running without problems + crackles etc ?
@plonter

Post by @plonter »

Hi k500zm

As for crackles i have none, seems i can work with a good load of VST in my DAW with 512 buffer size ( 13 ms ULLI at 44.100 )

As for problems, i can point a few flows!

1 - When i exit my DAW ( Live 10, Cubase Pro 10/9.5, or Bitwig ) and open again one of the DAW's i receive this message
ERRORE.PNG
ERRORE.PNG (5.38 KiB) Viewed 12046 times
Then if i exit and re-enter Scope 7 the ASIO is ok and i can work.

2 - From time to time rarely when i open Scope 7 the system say no Hardware found but DSP meter sees the 24 DSP, exit and re-enter to Scope 7 solve it and can keep on working.

I can load 11 Master Verb, one time i got the PCI limit when i opened SSB Phaser S and has solved by re-installing Scope 7 on top of the existing Scope software. this one may be as to do nothing with the installation, more likely that i minimized the ASIO source channels count from 48 to 32, and ASIO dest from 16 to 10.

I know it sounds a lot for it the be a good motherboard but i see it as really minor flows, i have this board since June 2019 and i'm working on music this is for sure :)

I stick to one of garyb post about not wasting Resources.

Fill free to ask about something specific and i will try to answer how it is on my motherboard, the only thing i won't do and i apologize is taking out on or more of the 3 PCI out, i really believe i have a stable Scope 7 system....i'm making Music :) so i fear of shaking it :)

Best,
k500zm

Post by k500zm »

Hey Plonter - Thanks for the detailed reply

I sometimes get the "Error Asio modules are not running" message - this only occurs when the DAW has not shutdown properly and has terminated unexpectedly [sometimes you dont notice this has happened but if the last SAVE you did does not appear on the recent list when opened again - you know it HAS]. I avoid this by closing ALL plugin windows and this normally avoids it - maybe it may work for you.

I have noticed Asus have 2 boards with 3 PCI slots ...

https://www.asus.com/uk/ROG-Republic-Of ... H310-PLUS/

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-H310-PLUS-GAMING/

I heard someone say that the ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers Prime version is better [has a LPT Port] / has more Bios features but I have to do more research.

I am glad you have no Pops clicks - I am running a i7 -980x 6 core 12 thread first generation i7 and the new Massive X vst wont work with this as it is missing an instruction set - so I will probably upgrade sometime soonish.

What RAM are you using [manufacturer and model /speed] ?
@plonter

Post by @plonter »

Hey k500zm

Yes at first i did found that my Cubase 10 is not closing properly or shutdown properly, last SAVE did not appear but since Cubase Pro 10 as more than this in bugs...i tried Cubase 9.5 witch is great also Ableton Live 10 and recent buy of Bitwig the all close ok and last save is in the list, maybe something is not configured ok on this installation of Windows 10 since i left it on stock settings no optimization !

RAM is ( x2 8 gigs models for 16 gigs total ) :
Module Manufacturer: Crucial Technology
Module Part Number: CT8G4DFS8266.C8FD1
Memory Speed: 1333.3 MHz (DDR4-2666 / PC4-21300)

Best,
garyb

Post by garyb »

depending on how you exit the DAW, the DAW may not release the ASIO driver. that is the reason for the error and need to restart Scope.

11 masterverbs is plenty good. all resources are always limited.
@plonter

Post by @plonter »

Hi garyb

I think you just unplug some repeating behavior i kind of I adopted by "Save and then quiet DAW" while the project is running, just now i tried to first close the project then exit the DAW Bitwig in this case and reopen NO error :)

Also in Cubase 9.5 no error and please leave out 10 this one always closes as crash! thanks to Steinberg Cubase 10 license can be used with 9.5 :)

I can even ping point way i have this habit, in Ableton Live there is no close project so just adopted this habit when i exit......

More good things are a joy :) for this Scope 7 system.

Best,
@plonter

Post by @plonter »

THANK'S For that :)