BNC sync Xite-1 Scope 7

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

BNC sync Xite-1 Scope 7

Post by yayajohn »

Ok so here is some info for you Bud. (figured I'd start a new discussion thread for this)
Yesterday I decided to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10 on my system. A couple of legacy installs had caused it to crash and when I used System Restore, then Windows started doing the funky chicken :evil: So I finally gave up and reinstalled everything.
Then after I installed Scope 7 the BNC would not sync up.
-Tried copying several directories within the "App" folder of my previous install then the entire "App" folder itself with no change.
-Then I copied the entire previous Xite folder to the new computer and now it works.
If anyone has any ideas of what file might be the culprit then I'd be more than happy to try it.
(I'm wondering if I copied a file from the 5.1 install but if I did I don't remember and I definitely don't remember which files)
With this in mind it appears the PCIe slot is not a factor as I had previously thought.
valis

Re: BNC sync Xite-1 Scope 7

Post by valis »

.dsp/pep/etc files would surely be the culprit.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:27 am Ok so here is some info for you Bud. (figured I'd start a new discussion thread for this)
Yesterday I decided to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10 on my system. A couple of legacy installs had caused it to crash and when I used System Restore, then Windows started doing the funky chicken :evil: So I finally gave up and reinstalled everything.
-Tried copying several directories within the "App" folder of my previous install then the entire "App" folder itself with no change.
-Then I copied the entire previous Xite folder to the new computer and now it works.
If anyone has any ideas of what file might be the culprit then I'd be more than happy to try it.
(I'm wondering if I copied a file from the 5.1 install but if I did I don't remember and I definitely don't remember which files)
With this in mind it appears the PCIe slot is not a factor as I had previously thought.
yayajohn wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:27 am Ok so here is some info for you Bud. (figured I'd start a new discussion thread for this)
Hi !

Thx for posting !
I never imagined the PCIe slot is the culprit of BNC input sync (XITE = slave) issue.
Up to now, the workaround was using AES/EBU In or using XITE-1 as master.
But for the future I´ll need the BNC.
Now I´m curious which file it could be too ...

When I look into my SCOPE 5.1 BAK-folder of my former WinXPSP3 32Bit DAW, in XITE\App\Script ... I see 2 files named:

WordClockPipe.nfo size: 85 date: 17.12.2001 16:14
WordClockPIpe.pep size: 2.773 date: 16.05.2002 21:50

In my SCOPEXITE v7 64Bit installation (latest build) on Win7 Pro SP1 x64 ... the file: WordClockPipe.nfo is completely missing.
In fact, in that Script-folder there aren´t any .nfo files anymore,- but in other folders still are ...

Conclusion:
I never synced my XITE-1 via BNC in the past because I had no Masterclock at all.
So I doubt the .nfo file was created by usage.

Now leaves quuestions:

became .nfo file related to Wordclock obsolete w/ SCOPE v7 ?
became .nfo just only obsolete for x64 but was essential for 32Bit SCOPE ?
Or just only for v5.1 ?

There are 2 other files related to "sync" in XITE\App\Script ...

SyncSwitch.pep size: 287
SyncSwitch2.pep size:194

these have same size in both SCOPE 5.1 (32Bit) and SCOPE v7 x64.
Just only dates are different,- 19.03.2004 (19:48 and 21:50) vs. 27.09.2017 17:35

and in XITE\App\Dsp ...

SYNC1MSG.dsp
SYNC2MSG.dsp

Also here, I dunno if they have to do w/ BNC sync at all,- but just only for the record,- these are identical w/ these in SCOPE 5.1

:)

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

And so if you choose this route, you need to backup both the clean install for V7 and your previous, and swap files in & out accordingly. You can clearly start with the ones outlined in the above post, but batch testing (and reversing, perhaps) files in groups would be the most efficient. Once you isolate the group, reverse the changes again with the clean v7 install, and go in smaller groupings of files or 1 by 1 as necessary until you zero in on something that effects a change. It's quite likely there's more than 1 related file, as Bud also seems to understand.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Well right now I'm done fiddling with it since I accomplished my goal of getting it to work and as long as I don't run into any problems then I'll leave it as such.
I'm a weeks worth of work behind in my reinstallation so I have to move on.
Later on when I have my full computer stuffed in it's hole, I will get back to this and see if I can post a definitive culprit file.
Maybe Bud will figure it out before I do
valis

Post by valis »

I would contribute if I had an Xite. Thanks for your contributions...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:17 pm ... I will get back to this and see if I can post a definitive culprit file.
Maybe Bud will figure it out before I do
I doubt I can because of circumstances in which I have to live for about 5 yrs now.
I was happy to find the time looking for differences in my former SCOPE 5.1 32Bit and my actual SCOPEv7 x64 installation.

I wonder if the differences I´ve found are just only related to 32Bit vs 64Bit and it would be nice to get a statement on this before more time has to be invested.

I´m really curious about my SCOPE 5.1 (32Bit) script folder is full of .nfo files and in SCOPE v7.0, there is not a single one.
To me, it looks like a concept, but possibly w/ a minor mistake which might have broken BNC input sync.

I´m not a coder, but when I look into such file w/ editor, I recognize a single typo might cause havoc.

Bud
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

nfo files are unrelated. these are simple info files used in the sdk
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

also "sync" files are unrelated to this issue. i would suggest users to not mess with the installation and not change and swap files manually. if bnc does not work due to a bug tell to support and use adat or spdif for wordclock. messing with the installation files can drive you crazy when stuff doesn't work.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

fra77x2 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:58 pm also "sync" files are unrelated to this issue. i would suggest users to not mess with the installation and not change and swap files manually. if bnc does not work due to a bug tell to support and use adat or spdif for wordclock. messing with the installation files can drive you crazy when stuff doesn't work.
SAGE advice! Hopefully we will have an update from Holger on this soon and it will be a moot issue.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

fra77x2 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:58 pm also "sync" files are unrelated to this issue. i would suggest users to not mess with the installation and not change and swap files manually. if bnc does not work due to a bug tell to support and use adat or spdif for wordclock. messing with the installation files can drive you crazy when stuff doesn't work.
So, when .nfo and "sync" files are not related, what about "WordClockPipe.pep" ?

I ask by interest,- don´t own SDK.

Bud
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

WordClockPipe.pep seems to be what you are looking for but I can't be sure.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

fra77x2 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:28 am WordClockPipe.pep seems to be what you are looking for but I can't be sure.
Thank you !

For a comparison of that file in SCOPE 5.1 and SCOPE v7.0,- do you think 32Bit vs 64Bit might make a difference ?
I only have a SCOPE 5.1 32Bit backup, never installed 64Bit version,- and for SCOPE v7.0 it´s the opposite.

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

Yes, and I personally cannot tell you what (if any) files from V5.1 32bit might be compatible with Scope 7/64bit. Probably best avoided without the proper tools to check compatibility. Feel free to add to my response if someone has a more authoritative answer.
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

For a comparison of that file in SCOPE 5.1 and SCOPE v7.0,- do you think 32Bit vs 64Bit might make a difference ?
don't know. if some users made it work by using a file from a previous installation then perhaps it can work. I suppose it would be best to report to support to get fixed in an update than searching in the dark.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I thought there was a file for Scope 7 that you had to swap out, depending if you wanted wordclock as master or slave. Is that what you are missing?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jksuperstar wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:05 pm I thought there was a file for Scope 7 that you had to swap out, depending if you wanted wordclock as master or slave. Is that what you are missing?
Thx, but no, these files were for SCOPE 5 and/or 5.1 only.
In SCOPE 7, XITE as master/slave works from SCOPE setttings making these files obsolete.

The Scope v7 issue is XITE being set as slave w/ BNC (input !) wordclock sync.

I didn´t try, but others reported BNC out works w/ XITE as master.
I hope it´s really true.
That might indicate there´s a bug in the "WordClockPipe".pep file,- WHEN it is the file exclusively controlling BNC ports/sync.

Only S|C knows.

Because I believe S|C is aware of that issue already, we´ll might see the fix in next update anyway.
But up to now it´s unknown when it will be released.

I can work around by using AES/EBU out of my masterclock, running to XITE AES/EBU in,- for the time being.

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

ok, v7 and v5.1 for XITE use the exact same method of enabling sync, but both did not really work as they should. because of this, the swapping of files in v5.1 was used. v7 does not have the work-around, it only works in one direction. the easy thing is to use ADAT or AES/EBU with the XITE.

bnc is not magic. you can still use your master clock. i know, because i have used this method. the main advantage to bnc is that you can sync many different pieces of hardware. as long as their clocks are in sync, everything is ok. AES/EBU is just fine in this case.

yes, there should be a fix.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

garyb wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:26 am ok, v7 and v5.1 for XITE use the exact same method of enabling sync, but both did not really work as they should. because of this, the swapping of files in v5.1 was used. v7 does not have the work-around, it only works in one direction. the easy thing is to use ADAT or AES/EBU with the XITE.

bnc is not magic. you can still use your master clock. i know, because i have used this method. the main advantage to bnc is that you can sync many different pieces of hardware. as long as their clocks are in sync, everything is ok. AES/EBU is just fine in this case.

yes, there should be a fix.
Nice to hear from you on this Gary, you've told us before a fix is def in the working so thanks for that.
I had previously been syncing the Xite via ADAT to my Presonus Digimax FS but I also was syncing my Scope PCI computer to the Xite via ADAT so that turned out to be a slave of a slave which worked fine as far as I could tell but from what I read that is sort of pushing your luck and I also expanded with another ADA.
So for me the whole BNC thing started out (a year ago maybe?) as an experiment with a $50 used master clock. .
I'm quite sure now that I swapped out 1 or 2 files from 5.1 keeping in mind that if something went astray I would just reinstall and go back to ADAT sync. I am currently using my AES/EBU as an effects send to my TC Fireworx.
So far I have observed nothing but a steady sync on this computer and on the last.
There's no real danger here, (I don't do this for a living) and I can always abandon the BNC and go back to ADAT with a quick reinstallment of Scope if I run into trouble.
I'm willing to be the guinea pig on this for anyone who might find this useful and I promise to report ASAP if I run into any snags.
Down the road I may investigate the exact file names although I suspect we've already done that and maybe, just maybe 7.1 will be out very soon :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

i use bnc myself, but using bnc does not mean that you can't use AES/EBU or ADAT concurrently.

it's a minor hassle, but i do expect a fix. i never know until it's done, just like everyone else. i expect v7.1 now. i think there were already plans for a release this last month, but the planets did not align. i surely hope it's soon, but as i said, i'm not involved in the coding so i know very little in the way of details.